In 1870, The Ohio State University was founded as a land-grant university. Its original name was the Ohio Agricultural and Mechanical College due to its location in a farming community. The first classes were held on September 18, 1873 with the first class of six men graduating in 1878. The first woman, an engineering major, graduated in 1879. The college's name was changed to The Ohio State University in 1878. Many printed volumes are available about the history of Ohio State. Some of its history is encapsulated at https://news.osu.edu/history.html. Archival photographs are also available online via University Archives at https://www.flickr.com/photos/ohio-state-university-archives/sets/.