Tracy's (Pettus') Brigade Tracy's (Pettus') Brigade, 1862-1865

The Commanders:

Edward Dorr Tracy was originally a Georgian, born in Macon on 5 November 1833. By the latter part of the 1850s, Tracy left home and moved to Alabama where he established a law practice in Huntsville. He also entered politics, involving himself in the presidential elections of 1860. When the Civil War began, Tracy joined the service as a Captain (Co. "I", 4th Alabama) and fought at 1st Manassas, after which he was promoted to Major. By October, 1861, Tracy was a Lt. Col. and transferred to be second in command of the 19th Alabama. He fought with the 19th at Shiloh and in a variety of campaigns in East Tennessee. He was promoted to Brig. Gen'l (16 August 1862) and led his five regiments at Port Gibson against the attack of Union troops under Major Gen'l John A. McClernand (1 May 1863). Unable to withstand the assault, Confederate lines broke and opened up the way for Major Gen'l Ulysses Grant's siege at Vicksburg. Tracy was killed in action at Port Gibson.

Stephen Dill Lee was a native of South Carolina, having been born in Charleston on 22 September 1833. He entered West Point and graduated in 1854. He served on frontier duty in Texas and then helped fight the Seminole Indians in Florida. Transferred to frontier duty again, in Kansas and the Dakotas, he resigned his commission when war threatened. He was immediately appointed a captain in the South Carolina Volunteers and transferred to Confederate service. He was one of the officers appointed to treat with Major Anderson at the fall of Ft. Sumter, and he helped establish the defenses of Charleston. He was promoted to Major of Artillery (November, 1861) and fought at Seven Pines, Savage's Station, Malvern Hill, 2nd Manassas, and Sharpsburg. Because of his outstanding performance and heroism, he was rapidly promoted up to Brig. Gen'l (6 November 1862). Subsequent to this appointment, President Davis sent Lee to Vicksburg during the winter. At Baker's Creek (16 May 63), Lee conducted himself heroically, and following the fall of Vicksburg, he was exchanged and promoted to Major Gen'l, commanding cavalry in Mississippi. Lee then (February, 1864) took command of all cavalry west of Alabama. By June, he became the youngest Lt. Gen'l in Confederate service. When Gen'l Hood commanded the Army of the Tennessee, Lee commanded the infantry corps, leading it through all the operations around Atlanta. He was wounded at Nashville but refused to seek care until a rear guard was formed and in action. He ultimately surrendered his command at High Point, NC, 26 April 1865.

Following the war, Lee pursued a career as a planter and politician, becoming a senator in Mississippi. He was appointed president of the Mississippi A&M College from 1880-1899 and then became a commissioner of the Vicksburg Military Park. At the time of his death, he was commander of the United Confederate Veterans. He died on 28 May 1908.

Edmund Winston Pettus was a lawyer and a judge, born in Limestone County, Alabama, on 6 July 1821. He was admitted to the bar in 1842 and fought in the Mexican War before moving on to California to seek a fortune. Returning to Alabama, he established himself in Cahaba and became a commissioner to Mississippi to discuss withdrawal from the Union with his brother, John, then Governor of that state. Pettus helped to raise an Alabama regiment (20th Infantry, in which he was elected Major then Lt. Col.). He was with the 20th when it was sent to help in the defense of Port Gibson and he was captured with the garrison. Pettus escaped before he was exchanged and again served with his regiment at Vicksburg where he distinguished himself. During the siege, he was promoted to Col., then to Brig. Gen'l (18 Sept 1863) shortly after his exchange. Now commanding Tracy's old brigade, Pettus fought at Chattanooga and throughout the Atlanta Campaign. His brigade was not engaged at Franklin, but he did fight at Nashville. Pettus was wounded in the Carolinas Campaign, but he commanded his brigade at the final surrender of Joseph E. Johnston's army.

Following the war, Pettus returned to Selma and resumed his law practice. He also entered politics serving as state representative to the national Democratic conventions between 1876 and 1996, when he was elected a US Senator. Following his reelection, he died in Hot Springs, NC, 27 July 1907.

The Regiments: || 20th || 23rd || 30th || 31st || 46th ||

20th Alabama Infantry Regiment

The 20th Alabama Infantry Regiment was organized at Montgomery, with recruits from Bibb, Dallas, Greene, Hale, Jefferson, Perry, Russell, Tuscaloosa, and Washington counties, on 16 September 1861. Proceeding to Mobile in November and to Knoxville in February 1862, the regiment was placed under Gen'l Danville Leadbetter of Mobile. Transferred to Gen'l Seth M. Barton's Brigade, the 20th operated for some time in east Tennessee and advanced into Kentucky with Gen'l Kirby Smith, being in Gen'l Alexander Reynolds' Brigade, Henry Heth's Division. It was in the pursuit of Union Gen'l Joshua W. Sill along the Salt River and joined Gen'l Braxton Bragg just after the Battle of Perryville. The regiment was in Col. T. H. Taylor's Brigade for a short time, but shortly after the return to Tennessee, a brigade of Alabamians was organized, the 20th, 23rd, 30th, 31st, and 46th regiments, and placed under Gen'l Edward D. Tracy of Madison, and in Carter Stevenson's Division. A few days prior to the Battle of Murfreesboro, the division was sent to Vicksburg, and the regiment fought at Port Gibson the following spring, losing heavily in casualties. At Baker's Creek it again suffered severely, and was then at Vicksburg. During the siege there, the ranks of the 20th were greatly thinned, and it was surrendered with the fortress. After the fall of Gen'l Tracy at Port Gibson, Gen'l Stephen D. Lee of South Carolina commanded the brigade, until Gen'l Edmund Pettus of Dallas was placed over it in the parole camp at Demopolis. Ordered to join Gen'l Bragg, the 20th participated in the battle of Missionary Ridge without loss. The winter was passed at Dalton, and the regiment was engaged in the constant fighting from Dalton to Atlanta, being conspicuous at Rocky Face Ridge, and losing heavily at Kennesaw. It participated at Jonesboro, suffering severely. It moved into Tennessee with Gen'l John Bell Hood, and lost heavily at Nashville. From that field, the 20th passed into North Carolina and fought at Kinston and Bentonville. It was surrendered at Salisbury, about 165 rank and file of the original 1100 men with which the 20th took the field. At the close of the war, the 20th was consolidated with the 30th Infantry Regiment at Smithfield, 9 April 1865.

Field and staff officers: Cols. Robert T. Jones (Perry; transferred); Isham Warren Garrott (Perry; promoted; KIA, Vicksburg); Edmund Winston Pettus (Dallas; promoted); James M. Dedman (Dallas; wounded, Franklin); Lt. Cols. Isham Warren Garrott (promoted); Edmund Winston Pettus (captured, Port Gibson, and escaped; promoted); James M. Dedman (promoted); Mitchell Thomas Porter (Jefferson; resigned, 23 Sept 1864); John W. Davis (Shelby; wounded, Rocky Face Ridge, Marietta); Majors Edmund Winston Pettus (promoted); Alfred S. Pickering (Perry; KIA, Port Gibson); James M. Dedman (promoted); Mitchell Thomas Porter (promoted); John W. Davis (wounded, Marietta; promoted); John G. Harris (Greene); and Adjutants John S. Smith (Dallas; promoted to brigade adjutant); Francis M. Vance (Dallas)

Captains and counties from which the companies came:

  • Co. "A" (Perry County): Alfred S. Pickering (promoted); Leroy E. Davis
  • Co. "B" (Dallas and Bibb counties): James M. Dedman (wounded, Vicksburg; promoted); Thomas K. Ferguson
  • Co. "C" (Jefferson County): Mitchell Thomas Porter (promoted); George W. Ayres (KIA, Jonesboro); Andrew J. Tarrant
  • Co. "D" (Bibb County): Richard Hobson Pratt (captured, Port Gibson, and never exchanged); Lt. William F. Lowrey (transferred to Co. "H")
  • Co. "E" (Greene County): Robert E. Watkins (resigned, 2 Aug 62); John McKee Gould (detailed to Gen'l Pettus' staff); 1st Lt. James T. Smith
  • Co. "F" (Perry and Bibb counties): Lucius J. Lockett (resigned, 2 Aug 62) William H. Sheppard (resigned, 23 Dec 62); Chapman A. Spencer; Isaac W. Parish
  • Co. "G" (Shelby, Bibb, and Jefferson counties): John W. Davis (promoted); Rufus Monroe De Shazo (resigned, 29 April 1864); George S. Nave (wounded, Marietta; resigend, 18 Dec 64)
  • Co. "H" (Perry and Bibb counties): John P. Peterson (resigned, 18 Nov 61); Samuel W. Davidson
  • Co. "I" (Greene County): John G. Harris (promoted); Albert M. Avery (retired, 2 Nov 64); Noah H. Garvin
  • Co. "K" (Tuscaloosa County): Joseph C. Guild (resigned, 2 Aug 62); Benjamin D. Massingale

Historical resources:

23rd Alabama Infantry Regiment

The 23rd Alabama Infantry Regiment was organized at Montgomery on 19 November 1861, with companies recruited in Baldwin, Choctaw, Clarke, Conecuh, Lowndes, Macon, Marengo, Monroe and Wilcox counties. It was ordered to Mobile shortly after that and attached to Gen'l Adley H. Gladden's Brigade, remaining there until the following February. During the stay there of two months, the regiment lost 82 men by disease. It then moved into East Tennessee and was brigaded under Gen'l Danville Leadbetter of Mobile and then under Gen'l Seth Barton of Tennessee, and in June 1862, under Col. Thomas Hart Taylor of Kentucky. The 23rd performed much arduous duty in East Tennessee and formed part of Carter Stevenson's Division, Kirby Smith's Corps, in the Kentucky campaign. When the army returned to Tennessee, a brigade was formed of the 20th, 23rd, 30th, 31st, and 46th Alabama regiments and placed under Gen'l Edward D. Tracy of Madison. In December 1862, with Stephenson's Division, the 23rd was moved to Vicksburg, and a few days later was present at the fight at Chickasaw Bayou. It was engaged at Port Gibson where the brigade commander fell, and it lost heavily there in killed, wounded, and captured. Gen'l Stephen D. Lee then took command of the brigade. At Baker's Creek, the 23rd was engaged and lost a number captured. The next day, it was in the fight at Big Black Bridge. When the army fell back, the regiment was left, by oversight, and for 12 hours resisted the whole federal army, without severe loss. Retiring into Vicksburg, the regiment shared in that siege, fighting day and night, but without many casualties. Paroled immediately, the regiment was soon exchanged and joined the Army of Tennessee just after the Battle of Chickamauga., Gen'l Edmund Pettus of Dallas commanding the brigade. The 23rd took part at Missionary Ridge with light loss and wintered at Dalton, Georgia. At the beginning of the campaign, it suffered heavy losses at Resaca, but it was constantly in front of Union Gen'l William T. Sherman all the way to Atlanta and Jonesboro, suffering very severely in the latter fight. The regiment marched with Gen'l John Bell Hood into Tennessee, was engaged at Columbia with considerable loss, and at Nashville, where many of the men were captured. It guarded the rear of the retreating army and moved into the Carolinas. From Branchville to Bentonville, it fought Sherman and was consolidated with the 31st and 46th Alabama, with J. B. Bibb as colonel, Osceola Kyle of Coosa at Lt. Col., and J. T. Hester as Major, and sufrrendered at Salisbury, NC. Nearly 1200 names were on the rolls of the 23rd; it had 435 muskets at Rocky-face, and 76 surrendered at Salisbury, under Col. Bibb. Near the close of the war, the 23rd was consolidated with the 31st and 46th Infantry at Smithfield, 9 April 1865.

Field and staff Officers: Cols. Franklin King Beck (Wilcox; captured, Vicksburg; KIA, Resaca); Joseph Branajah Bibb (Montgomery; wounded, Nashville); Lt. Col. Joseph Branajah Bibb (promoted); Majors Felix Tait (Wilcox; resigned, 9 Aug 1862); John J. Longmire (Monroe; resigned, 25 Jan 1864); Francis McMurray (Macon; wounded, Missionary Ridge; retired); A. C. Roberts (Marengo; KIA, New Hope Church); James T. Hester (Montgomery); Adjutants Henry Goldthwaite (Mobile; resigned); J. T. Norman (Macon; captured, Port Gibson); and William Beard (Conecuh)

Captains, and counties from which the companies came:

  • Co. "A" (Wilcox County): John J. Longmire (promoted); G. H. Moye (resigned, 13 Nov 63); J. W. Steen (captured, Vicksburg; wounded, Atlanta)
  • Co. "B" (Macon County): Francis McMurray (wounded, Port Gibson, and captured; promoted; resigned, 21 March 64) F. A. Rutherford (KIA, Jonesboro); Lt. Carnie Leslie
  • Co. "C" (Marengo County): A. L. Norwood (resigned); A. C. Roberts (promoted); Robert Chapman; Alfred Bethea (resigned, 2 Sept 62)
  • Co. "D" (Conecuh County): D. K. Smith (resigned, 10 Sept 62); James T. Hester (promoted); James M. Anderson
  • Co. "E" (Monroe County): G. G. Mathews (resigned, 24 Feb 63); H. M. Graham (captured, Vicksburg)
  • Co. "F" (Lowndes County): Henry P. Reid (resigned, 3 Jan 63); S. Oliver Merriwether (captured, Port Gibson)
  • Co. "G" (Choctaw County): Alfred Yates (resigned, 13 Sept 62); John Stephens (KIA, Port Gibson); W. W. Johnson (resigned, 13 April 64); M. Butterfield; (KIA, Atlanta); R. F. Campbell
  • Co. "H" (Conecuh County): Thomas D. McCall (resigned, 29 April 63); B. L. Selman (captured, Vicksburg; wounded, Resaca); 2nd Lt. J. T. McDonald
  • Co. "I" (Baldwin County): R. Y. Rew (resigned, 9 Feb 63, and 30 March 63); W. H. Myles (captured, Vicksburg)
  • Co. "K" (Wilcox and Clarke counties): William E. Powe (resigned, 10 Nov 62); Greene D. McConnell (captured, Vicksburg)

Historical resources:

30th Alabama Infantry Regiment

The 30th Alabama Infantry Regiment was organized at Talladega, 16 April 1862, with men recruited from Calhoun, Clay, Coosa, Franklin, Jefferson, Randolph, St. Clair, Shelby, and Talladega counties. It reported for duty at once to Chattanooga. Sent further into East Tennessee, it was brigaded under Gen'l Alexander W. Reynolds of Tennessee, then under Gen'l Carter L. Stevenson. The regiment skirmished at Tazewell and Cumberland Gap, and moved into Kentucky, but it was not engaged there. On the return to Tennessee, the 30th was brigaded with the 20th, 23rd, 31st, and 46th Alabama regiments, under Gen'l Edward D. Tracy of Madison, and in December, it was sent to Vicksburg with the other portions of Stevenson's Division. In the spring, the regiment fought with few casualties at Port Gibson; but, it saw heavy losses at Champion's Hill where 229 men were put out of action - half the regimental strength. In addition, four ensigns were killed, and the colors were penetrated by 63 balls and 16 shell fragments. At Vicksburg, the 30th suffered severely in casualties during the siege and was captured with the fortress. Paroled, the regiment recruited at Demopolis and proceeded with other portions of the brigade, now under Gen'l Edmund W. Pettus of Dallas, to the main army near Chattanooga. The regiment was engaged without loss at Missionary Ridge, then wintered at Dalton. At Rocky Face Ridge, the 30th suffered severely, but lightly at Resaca. In the Atlanta Campaign, the regiment was engaged in several battles. It lost heavily at New Hope, Atlanta, and Jonesboro. It proceeded into Tennessee and was engaged at Nashville, losing heavily again, and was part of the rear guard on the movement to Duck River. Transferred to North Carolina, the regiment fought at Kinston and Bentonville, with high casualties. The 30th surrendered with the army at Greensboro, North Carolina, about 100 men present for duty. Toward the close of the war, the 30th was consolidated with the 20th Infantry and redesignated the 20th Consolidated Infantry Regiment, at Smithfield, 9 April 1865.

Field and staff officers: Cols. Charles Miller Shelley (Talladega; promoted); James K. Elliott (Talladega; wounded, Bentonville); Lt. Cols. Paul Bradford (Talladega; resigned, 10 Nov 1862); John Bass Smith (Jefferson; KIA, Vicksburg); John C. Francis (Calhoun; KIA, Rocky Face Ridge); Thomas H. Patterson (Talladega; KIA, Atlanta); James K. Elliott; promoted); William H. Burr (St. Clair); Majors John Bass Smith (promoted); William C. Patterson (Talladega; wounded, Champion's Hill; resigned, 28 Jan 1864); John C. Francis (promoted); Thomas H. Patterson (promoted); James K. Elliott (promoted); William Hughson Burr (promoted); and Adjutants William W. Houston (Talladega; wounded, Champion's Hill); and James E. Shelly

Captains, and counties from which the companies came:

  • Co. "A" (Talladega County): William C. Patterson (promoted); Henry P. Oden (KIA, Vicksburg); R. P. H. Heacock (KIA, Bentonville)
  • Co. "B" (Calhoun County): John C. Francis (promoted); Joseph H. McCain
  • Co. "C" (Talladega County): David M. Anderson (KIA, Champion's Hill); D. C. McCain
  • Co. "D" (Shelby County): Charles G. Samuel (resigned, 4 April 64); Benjamin F. Samuel (retired, 30 Dec 64)
  • Co. "E" (Calhoun County): Henry McBee (resigned, 2 Sept 62); Samuel Kelly
  • Co. "F" (Talladega County): John Sawyer (resigned, 11 June 62); James K. Elliot (wounded, Rocky Face Ridge; promoted); Wilson T. Webb
  • Co. "G" (Randolph County): W. T. Wood (resigned, 29 Jan 63); A. Jack Durrett (KIA, near Atlanta); Lt. Stephens
  • Co. "H" (St. Clair County): Edward P. Woodward (resigned, 12 Nov 62); William H. Burr (wounded; promoted)
  • Co. "I" (Talladega County): Thomas H. Patterson (wounded, Port Gibson; promoted); William S. McGhee (KIA, Atlanta)
  • Co. "K" (Shelby and Jefferson counties): J. B. Smith (promoted); John Marion De Shazo (wounded, Lovejoy's Station); R. M. Acton (resigned, 2 Sept 62)

Historical resources:

31st Alabama Infantry Regiment

The 31st Alabama Infantry Regiment was organized at Talladega, 16 March 1862, with men from Calhoun, Cherokee, Montgomery, Randolph, Shelby, and Talladega counties. It reported to Gen'l Danville Leadbetter at Chattanooga shortly after. It then moved up to Knoxville, where it was brigaded under Gen'l Seth Barton, in Carter Stevenson's Division. The regiment was at the investment of Cumberland Gap, and it took part in the fight at Tazewell. With Gen'l E. K. Smith's column, it was in the Kentucky Campaign, without coming up with the enemy. When the forces came back, it was permanently brigaded with the 20th, 23rd, 30th, and 46th Alabama regiments, under Gen'l Edward D. Tracy of Madison, Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana. In December, the 31st accompanied Stevenson's Division to Vicksburg. In May 1863 it helped defend Port Gibson, Mississippi, where the regiment suffered severely. It fought at Baker's Creek, and the loss was heavy. As part of the Vicksburg garrison, the regiment suffered through the siege, and after losing a number killed and wounded, it was surrendered with the fortress. Placed in parole camp at Demopolis, the 31st was soon exchanged. With Gen'l Edmund Pettus in command of the brigade, the regiment joined the Army of Tennessee, and it was engaged with slight loss at Mission Ridge. It wintered at Dalton, and it participated in the campaign from Dalton to Atlanta. The regiment followed Gen'l John Bell Hood into Tennessee and sustained severe losses at Columbia and Nashville, and was the rear-guard of the retreating army. Transferred to North Carolina, the regiment was hotly engaged at Bentonville, and a fragment of the 1100 with which it entered the service surrendered at Greensboro, as part of Pettus' Brigade. There were 260 effectives in January, 1863, with 21 k and 37 w at Vicksburg. There were 23 casualties at Chattanooga, and in December, 1863, there were 452 present with 323 arms. Only 180 were fit for duty in January 1865, and less than 100 surrendered in April. Toward the close of the war, the 31st was consolidated with the 23rd and 46th Infantry and redesignated the 23rd Consolidated Infantry Regiment at Smithfield, 9 April 1865.

Field and staff officers: Col. Daniel Robinson Hundley (Madison; wounded, Port Gibson; captured, Port Gibson, Big Shanty, Georgia); Lt. Col. Thomas Mann Arrington (Montgomery); Major George W. Mattison (Talladega; transferred to line duty); John W. Shorter (Georgia; captured, Champion's Hill; resigned); and William M. Garrard (Georgia)

Captains, and counties from which the companies came:

  • Co. "A" (Cherokee County): Isaac P. Moragne (resigned, 13 Aug 62); Henry W. Pickens (resigned, 30 March 63); W. L. Hughes (wounded, Jonesboro)
  • Co. "B" (Talladega County): William S. Chapman (resigned, 26 Sept 62); Robert A. Hardie (resigned, 12 Dec 63); William H. Hancock (transferred); W. J. Rhodes (wounded, Kinston, Bentonville)
  • Co. "C" (Cherokee County): Marshal J.l Alexander (resigned, 28 Aug 62); Joseph J. Nix (wounded, Champion's Hill, Jonesboro; captured, Champion's Hill)
  • Co. "D" (Calhoun County): E. T. Thompson; (dropped from rolls, 2 June 64); John Rose
  • Co. "E" (Talladega County): Archibald Carter (resigned, 27 Aug 62); G. W. Watts (resigned, 19 Nov 63); Frank M. Shouse
  • Co. "F" (Talladega County): Robert M. McKibbin
  • Co. "G" (Shelby County): James Cobb (resigned, 2 Sept 62); William H. Shelby (resigned, 21 Nov 63); Robert B. Pruitt
  • Co. "H" (Randolph County): Augustus A. West (resigned, 27 Aug 62); Andrew J. Reeves (resigned); James L. Williams (captured, Missionary Ridge)
  • Co. "I" (Montgomery County): John M. Shields (resigned, 10 Sept 62); Thomas M. Arrington (promoted); L. W. Vick
  • Co. "K" (Shelby County): Norman P. Reeves (appointed surgeon); John W. Pitts (resigned, 10 Nov 62); Samuel W. Morgan (dropped from rolls, 17 June 64); J. T. McClanahan

46th Alabama Infantry Regiment

The 46th Alabama Infantry was organized at Loachapoka, Alabama, on 20 May 1862. It recruited men from the counties of Blount, Coosa, Henry, Macon, Montgomery, Pike, and Randolph. Shortly after, it was sent to East Tennessee and had casualties in the fight at Tazewell. The regiment was in the march into Kentucky, in Gen'l Carter L. Stevenson's Division, but it did no fighting. When the Army returned to Tennessee, the 46th was placed in Gen'l Thomas H. Taylor's Brigade with the 20th, 23rd, 30th, and 31st Alabama, under Gen'l Edward D. Tracy. In December, with all of Stevenson's Division, the regiment was sent to Mississippi. In the battle of Port Gibson, where its brigadier fell, the regiment suffered severely. A few days later, it was engaged at Baker's Creek (Champion's Hill), again with many casualties, and where half of the regiment was captured, including the field officers. The remainder were besieged in Vicksburg and were captured with the fortress. Losses there were 15 k and 45 w. Exchanged and then eorganized at Demopolis, AL, with Gen'l Edmund Pettus in command of the brigade, the 46th rejoined the Army of Tennessee. It lost considerably at Lookout Mountain and Missionary Ridge and made winter quarters at Dalton, GA, with an effective force of 367 men and 266 arms. It was engaged at Crow's Valley, with several casualties, and it was involved in almost constant fighting from Dalton to Atlanta. At Jonesboro, it suffered many casualties. Then, marching with Gen'l John Bell Hood into Tennessee, it was one of the three regiments that made the brilliant fight at Columbia, where its losses were considerable. The 46th lost several k and w at Nashville, and quite a number were captured. It was the rear guard on the retreat and was complimented by Gen'l Hood in special orders for its services then. Transferred to North Carolina, the 46th was engaged at Kinston and Bentonville, with severe loss in the latter. The regiment was consolidated with the 23rd and 31st Alabama regiments, 9 April 1865, at Smithfield, NC, with J. B. Bibb of Montgomery as colonel, (Col. Woods was transferred to the 19th Alabama), Osceola Kyle as lt. col, and J. T. Hester of Montgomery as major. The 46th, now designated the 23rd Alabama, was surrendered at Salisbury by Major George E. Brewer, who had commanded it for two years, with no more than 75 men. Toward the close of the war, the 46th was combined with the 23rd and 31st Infantry and redesignated the 23rd Consolidated Infantry Regiment, at Smithfield, 9 April 1865.

Field and staff officers: Col. Michael Leonard Woods (Montgomery; captured, Champion's Hill); Lt. Col. Osceola Kyle (Coosa; captured, Champion's Hill); Major James M. Handley (Randolph; captured, Champion's Hill); and Adjutants William S. Turner (Montgomery; resigned); Thomas Riggs (Dallas; KIA, 5 May 63); Lt. Josiah T. House (Coosa; acting; KIA, Vicksburg); A. J. Brooks (Coosa; wounded, Kennesaw Mtn.); Lt. George McFarland (acting; KIA, Jonesboro)

Captains, and counties from which the companies came:

  • Co. "A", (Coosa County): George P. Brown (captured, Vicksburg)
  • Co. "B", Coosa Rangers (Coosa County): James R. Cross (captured, Vicksburg)
  • Co. "C", John Gill Shorter Aides (Pike County): Nathaniel G. Oattis
  • Co. "D", (Macon County): Cleveland L. Croft (resigned, 25 Nov 62)
  • Co. "E", (Montgomery County): John W. Powell (captured, Champion's Hill)
  • Co. "F", (Macon County): John F. Baggett (resigned, 13 Aug 62); John F. Spinks (KIA, Hood's retreat)
  • Co. "G", (Randolph County): James M. Handley (promoted); C. A. Allen (resigned, 20 May 64); William J. Samford
  • Co. "H", (Pike County: James W. McGuire (resigned, 2 Sept 62); Alexander McCaskill (KIA, Champion's Hill); Lafayette Henderson
  • Co. "I", (Henry County): William C. Wilson (resigned, 1 Aug 62); L. L. Croft
  • Co. "K", (Randolph County): Lindsay Stephens (died in service, 27 Aug 62); John C. Wright

Historical resources:

Comments and corrections, additions, etc., are welcomed. Email: Ken Jones.
You may visit other Alabama brigade pages:

You may also visit other states' Confederate (or even Union) regimental histories. There are even naval (ship) histories available. Or, you may return to the main Eclectic Projects page

You are visitor since 2 January 1998.
File created 14 May 1997; last updated 7 April 2000.