projectiles, 26,440,054 pounds of gunpowder, 6,395,152 pounds of niter, and 90,416,295 pounds of lead. In addition to these there were immense quantities of parts provided for repairing and making good articles damaged, lost, or destroyed in the service. The fiscal resources of the Ordnance Bureau for the year amounted to $35,301,062.56, and the expenditures $16,551,677.58 leaving a balance of $18,749,385.18, of which $18,043,804.28 were undrawn balances in the Treasury, and $705,580.90 were to the credit of disbursing officers in the Government depositories on June 30, 1866. The estimated appropriation required by the Ordnance Office, including only such objects as required early attention, is $1,592,242.
In the office of the Commissary-General of Prisoners a reduced force has been engaged in receiving and completing the record relating to prisoners of war, in furnishing information required by the various bureaus, and in the investigation of claims for commutation of rations to U. S. soldiers while held as prisoners of war.
The clerical force at the office of the Signal Corps is employed in arranging and putting in durable form messages and reports which passed through or emanated from the corps during the war. The expenditures for the Signal Service during the year ending September 30, 1866, were $3,900.15; the total amount appropriated and still available for signal service September 30, 1866, was $252,565.97. No appropriation was requested of last Congress, and none will be required for the next fiscal year.
At the last examination the corps of cadets as the Military Academy numbered 228 members, and forty cadets of the graduating class completed the course of studies and were commissioned lieutenants in the Army. Under the provisions of the acts of Congress approved, respectively, July 13 and 28, 1866, the Military Academy was separated from the Corps of Engineers, which, together with certain professors and cadets, had heretofore constituted the institution, and the officers of which had exercised exclusive supervision and control over it. Major General Edmund Schriver, inspector-general, has been assigned as inspector, and Colonel T. G. Pitcher, of the Forty-fourth Infantry, appointed superintendent. The report of the Board of Victors for 1867 bears ample testimony to the usefulness and excellent condition of the academy, and recommends the increase of the number of cadets to 400. With the present number of cadets but one graduate can be supplied to each regiment every second year, after the ordinary demands of the staff corps are met. During the past session of Congress important measures were adopted respecting the academy, raising the standard of qualification for admission, and requiring that appointments be hereafter made one year in advance of the date of admission. The inspector, from personal observation, reports the authorities of the institution as most assiduous in their efforts to advance the interests of the academy and its cadets. Its administration is characterized by economy and habits of frugality are inculcated. Excellent discipline is maintained and judiciously enforced. The estimate appropriation for the Military Academy is $243, 867.
In the Bureau of Refugees, Freedmen, and Abandoned Lands the Commissioner reports that there is no material change of organization, but business is facilitated and vexed questions settled by the law of 1866. The jurisdiction of assistant commissioners coincides generally with department and district commands, but is distinct in