War of the Rebellion: Serial 126 Page 0298 CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.

Search Civil War Official Records

The following table shows the lines and distances upon each operated during the year:

Terminal station.

Name of line. From- To- Distance.

Miles.

Nashville and Nashville.. Chattanooga.. 151

Chattanooga..

Nashville, ...do......... Stevenson.. 200

Decatur and

Stevenson..

Nashville and ...do......... Johnsonville.. 78

Northwestern..

Nashville and ...do......... Clarksville.. 62

Clarksville..

Shelbyville Wartrace.. Shelbyville.. 9

Branch..

Chattanooga Chattanooga.. Knoxville.. 112

and

Knoxville..

Knoxville and Knoxville.. Carter's 110

Bristol.. Station..

Cleveland and Cleveland.. Dalton.. 27

Dalton..

Chattanooga Chattanooga.. Atlanta.. 136

and Atlanta..

Rome Branch.. Kingston.. Rome.. 17

Atlanta and Atlanta.. Rough and 11

Macon.. Ready..

Memphis and Memphis.. Pocahontas.. 75

Charleston..

Mississippi Grand Tallahatchie 48

Central.. Junction.. River..

Mobile and Columbus, Ky.. Union City, 26

Ohio.. Tenn..

Total.. .............. .............. 1,062

The expenditures during the year for these roads, including labor, materials, and supplies, in round numbers, were $17,000,000.

All the lines embraced in this military division, since merged in the Military Division of the Tennessee, were turned over in September, 1865, to the companies owning them before the war, in obedience to the Executive order of August 8, 1865.

III.-GEORGIA.

In December a force of Construction Corps with some transportation men were ordered from Tennessee to Savannah, Ga., to operate such roads as General Sherman should require.

Before this force reached Savannah, General Sherman had left on his march to North Carolina, and it was turned back from Hilton Head about the 1st of February and sent to New Berne, N. C.

A few miles of railroad at Savannah were operated until July for local military purposes, when they were surrendered to the companies by order of the department commander.

IV.-NORTH CAROLINA.

The First installment of railroad operatives arrived at Morehead City on the 6th of February, 1865. At that date the railroad toward Goldsborough was in running order forty-four miles. At various times, as the country was occupied by the Union armies, the roads were opened, and on the 19th of April trains entered Raleigh. At that date there were in operation as military railroad lines the following:

Miles.

Morehead City to Goldsborough...................... 85

Wilmington to Goldsborough......................... 95

Goldsborough to Raleigh............................ 48

-----

Total..............................................228

In rebuilding these lines 2,991 linear feet of bridging was constructed, consuming 779,510 feet, B. M., of timber.

A wharf was built at Morehead City at a cost of $32,086, with an area of 53,682 square feet, and employing 700,000 feet, B. M., of timber.