The largest number of persons employed in any month during the year was 4,489, in April, 1865; and the least number per month was 3,268.
The expenses during the year amounted to $4,900,000.
II.-MILITARY DIVISION OF THE MISSISSIPPI.
At the commencement of the year the lines in operation were as follows:
Name of line. From- To- Length.
Nashville and Nashville.. Chattanooga.. 151
Nashville, ...do........ Stevenson.. 200
Nashville and ...do........ Tennessee 78
Chattanooga Chattanooga.. Knoxville.. 112
Chattanooga ...do........ Big Shanty.. 107
Cleveland and Cleveland.. Dalton.. 27
Rome Branch.. Kingston.. Rome.. 17
Memphis and Memphis.. Grand 52
Total.. .............. .............. 744
In August and September, 1864, the Nashville and Clarksville Railroad, sixty-two miles long, was opened, by order of Major- General Sherman, to reach another line of water supply for the depot of Nashville.
By the capture of Atlanta, in August, the entire Chattanooga and Atlanta line, 136 miles long, was opened, and for a short time trains were run a few miles south of Atlanta on the road toward Macon, Ga.
Upon the advance of General Sherman toward Savannah, in November, the Chattanooga and Atlanta line was abandoned south of Dalton, Ga., until after the surrender of General J. E. Johnston's army, when it was reopened by order of Major-General Thomas.
Some forty miles of this road were destroyed by General Hood in his great raid of October, 1864, and about the same distance by order of General Sherman, upon his leaving Atlanta. All this damage was repaired by the Construction Corps, as well as that caused during the December campaign to the railroad near Nashville, amounting in the aggregate to about 130 miles of new track.
The Knoxville and Bristol line was opened in the spring of 1865 to Carter's Station, 110 miles from Knoxville and to within twenty miles of the Virginia line.
In West Tennessee the railroad was extended from Grand Junction to Tallahatchie River, 100 miles southeast from Memphis, in August, 1864.
This line was abandoned, partially reopened, again abandoned, and again reopened, and still once more abandoned and reopened, until on the 20th day of May, 1865, it was finally reopened to Grand Junction and June 30 to Pocahontas, seventy-five miles east of Memphis.
The Mobile and ohio road was opened in May, 1865, from Columbus, Ky., to Union City, Tenn., twenty-six miles.