War of the Rebellion: Serial 125 Page 0946 CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.

Search Civil War Official Records

U. S. Military Railroads, Eastern Department - Statement of lines operated from July 1, 1863, to June 30, 1864 - Continued.

IN USE AT ANY TIME DURING THE YEAR.

Western Maryland Baltimore Westminster 36

Hangover Junction and Hangover Gettysburg 30

Gettysburg Junction

Littlestown Branch Hangover Littlestown 7

Alexandria and Alexandria Washington 7

Washington

Loundoun and ..do.. Vienna 16

Hampshire

Orange and Alexandria ..do.. Mitchell's 68

Warrenton Branch Warrenton Warrenton 9

Junction

Manassas Gap Manassas White Plains 23

Junction

Aquia Creek Aquia Creek Falmouth 15

Richmond and York White House Dispatch 14

River

City Point and City Point Near Petersburg 8

Petersburg

Norfolk and Norfolk Suffolk 23

Petersburg

Seaboard and Roanoke Portsmouth ..do.. 18

Winchester and Harper's Halltown 6

Potomac Ferry

Total .... 280

IN USE JUNE 30, 1864.

Alexandria and Alexandria Washington 7

Washington

Loundoun and ..do.. Vienna 14

Hampshire

Orange and Alexandria ..do.. Burke's 12

City Point and City Point Near Petersburg 8

Petersburg

Norfolk and Norfolk Suffolk 23

Petersburg

Seaboard and Roanoke Portsmouth ..do.. 18

Winchester and Harper's Halltown 6

Potomac Ferry

Total ......... ......... 88

From the above table it appears:

First. The length of military railroads in operation at te beginning of the year was fifty-two miles.

Second. The total length operated at anytime during the year amounted to 280 miles.

Third. The length in use at close of the year was eighty-eight miles.

During the first days of July, 1863, the battle of gettysburg was fought, and this department was called upon to operate the Western Maryland Railroad from Baltimore to Westminster as the line of supply for the Army of the Potomac.

Engineers, cars, men, and railroad supplies were taken from Alexandria and the road operated from July 2 to July 7, when it was abandoned for military purposes, the army having moved to the lines of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

To facilities removing the wounded from Gettysburg, military possession was taken of the railroad from Hangover Junction to Gettysburg and the line equipped with engines, cars, and men from Alexandria.

It was thus employed from July h9 to August 1, 1864, when it was restored to the company and the military rialroad equipments returned to Alexandria.

The Construction Corps belonging to this department was employed during July in repairing damages by the rebel army to the Cumberland Valley Railroad between Harrisburg and Chambersburg, the Franklin Railroad between Chambersburg and Hagerstown, and the Northern Central Railroad from Hangover Junction to Harrisburg.

The railroad between Washington and Alexandria was in constant use during the year transporting supplies to the Alexandria depot and wood to Washington for the Quartermaster's Department.

The Orange and Alexandria line was opened to Warrenton and Culpeper in July, abandoned beyond Bull Run, and torn up by the