GALENA, ILL., October 17, 1864.
J. B. FRY:
Small part of this district drafted. Fifteen days will enable us to fill quota everywhere by enlistment and discharge all drafted men, which would help us greatly. Can it be granted? Answer.
E. B. WAHSBURNE.
BALTIMORE, October 17, 1864.
Brigadier General JAMES B. FRY,
A deputation of the citizens of Baltimore, including the mayor, is now on their way to Washington to ask a postponement of the draft. I respectfully request permission to suspend the draft in this city until this deputation can present their petition to the Secretary of War. An immediate answer is solicited, as everything is now ready to proceed with the drawing.
WM. H. BROWNE,
Colonel and Acting Assistant Provost-Marshal-General.
WAR DEPT., PROVOST-MARSHAL-GENERAL'S OFFICE,
Washington, D. C., October 17, 1864.
Colonel WILLIAM H. BROWNE,
Actg. Asst. Provost-Marshal-General, Baltimore, Md.:
Proceed with the draft.
JAMES B. FRY,
HARRISBURG, October 18, 1864.
Honorable E. M. STANTON,
Secretary of War:
The interests of the country require that the draft be postponed till after the Presidential election.
PHILADELPHIA, October 18, 1864.
The PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES:
SIR: My friend, Chalres O"Neill, visits you to-day on a matter of great interest to us here. He thinks - and I agree with him - that a draft, if necessary here, should be postponed until after the November election.
We claim a credit for veteran recruits to an amount exceeding our deficiency on the quota of the whole city. This deficiency does not exceed 700. If this claim should not be allowed, I believe the deficiency on the quota will be fully made up by the 12th of November. I should regret exceedingly, under those circumstances, if a draft should be ordered before the Presidential election in a city so earnestly and eminently loyal.
Mr. O"Neill is entitled to your fullest confidence.
Yours, very truly,