War of the Rebellion: Serial 121 Page 0455 CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--UNION AND CONFEDERATE.

Search Civil War Official Records

[Inclosure Numbers 4.]

List of prisoners sent from this post on exchange.

Date. Prisoners of Prisoners of Citizens. Froe

war (well). war (sick). negroes.

Feb. 19 370




20 400 357



22 2,822









March 42 125 28 19


Total. 3,634 1,420 76 19


Date. Total. Destination By rail or Under whose

on foot. charge.

Feb. 19 370 Richmond. Railroad. Lieutenant

Davis. (3


20 757 do. do. Lieutenant


22 2,870 Goldsbo- On foot. Colonel Hoke.


22 938 Richmond. Railroad. Lieutenant

Snead. (12


March 214 do. do. Lieutenant T.

3 Allen.

Total. 5,149


Major, Commanding.

[Inclosure Numbers 5.]

GREENSBOROUGH, February 24, 1865.

Colonel H. FORNO, Commanding Prisons, &c.:

COLONEL: By your direction I make the following report of the removal of prisoners (Federal officers) from Columbia, S. C.:

For some time (say


weeks) previous to the evacuation I had been in consultation with General Winder, urging their removal to Southwest Georgia or Alabama, and the general had sent me for consultation to see General Beauregard at Charleston, who urged their removal, and had sent me also to Richmond with dispatches asking urgently for decisive orders where to remove them. No orders came up to the time General Winder went to Florence, where he died; but I took the responsibility in his absence to call on the post commissary and asked him to be prepared with cooked rations to remove 1,400 men, prisoners and guard, at any moment.

Very soon after you assumed command, and the moment you received orders to remove them to Charlotte, I received orders from you to move them off in two detachments by railroad, and I know that you had positive assurance that the trains should be in readiness--one at 6 o'clock a. m. of the 14th of February and one at 6 or 7 o'clock p. m. of the same day; but it was not until I had gone personally several times to the superintendent of the road, Mr. Anderson, and to the transportation quartermaster, Captain Sharp, that I could get a train, and then had not quite half an hour's notice to get my prisoners to the depot.

At 8 o'clock p. m. of the 14th I sent off the first detachment of 500 men under charge of Captain T. R. Stewart, and ordered him to report to the commandant of the post at Charlotte for rations and quarters. You had previously, however, sent an officer to Charlotte to select a site to keep them. When the first detachment went off I was notified by the transportation quartermaster (after urgently inquiring and asking timely notice) that a train would be ready for the balance of the prisoners at 6 o'clock p. m. of the same day--the 14th. My prisoners were promptly at the depot at 6 o'clock. It was an intensely dark evening and raining in torrents--the depot and the roads thronging with fleeing fugitives and wagons of baggage and freight.

It was so dark that the guards could not see the prisoners at a distance of three feet, and the guard at best was most inefficient, being composed of raw, undisciplined reserves. I waited a full hour with my