War of the Rebellion: Serial 121 Page 0351 CORRESPONDENCE, ETC. - UNION AND CONFEDERATE.

Search Civil War Official Records

We believe that there are many thousands of just, honorable, and humane people in the United States upon whom this subject, thus presented, will not be lsot; that they will do all they can to mitigate the horrors of war, ot complete the exchange of prisoners, now happily in progress, and to prevent the recurrence of such suffrings as have been narrated; and we repeat the words of the Confederate Congress in their manifesto of the 14th of June, 1864:

We commit out cause to the enlightened judgment of the world; to the sober relections of oru adversaries themselves, and to the solemn and righteous arbirtament of Heaven.*

Statement of Robert Ould, agent of Exchange, befor the [Congressional] committee.

No interruption in the regular delivery of prisoners occurred before Friday, the 24th of February. On that day I carried a number of Federal prisoners to Boulware's Wharf, and had transportation sufficient to bring back 2,000 of our prisoners. I met Colonel Mulford at Boulware's, but received no Confederate prisoners, there bein none at Varina, otherwise called Aiken's Landing. He stated that none were coming up the river, and I accordingly agreed to be at Boulware's Wharf on the folowing day (Saturday, the 25th) with steam-boat transportation for 2,000. I made the necessary arrangements. On proceeding to Rocketts, however, on the morning of the 25th, I was there informed by all the captains of the boats that it was impossible to go down in consequence of the freshet. At my earnest solicitation the captain of the small steamer Townes consented to take the medical officer of my bureau, Surgeon Brock, I instructed him to represent the case to the Federal agent and to the prisoners who, I felt sure, would be at Boulware's, giving them the option of marching to Richmond or returning to Varina and remaining to Varina and remaining there until the steam-boats could come down. I remained to make arrangements in this sudden emergency for receiving and providing for them. I telegraphed and sent messengers to General Custis Lee, requesting the necessary guard and such facilities of transportation as he could furnish. I also directed the Ambulance Committee to do everything in their power. General Lee furnished the guards and contributed everything he could. The Ambulance Committee were active and faithful in their efforts.

On Sunday (the 26th) the river was still too high for the steam-boats, but the captain of the Allison intimated that there was some chance of his going down me next day. I therefore thought it more exedient to wait until Monday morning. On Sunday night, however, Captain Gifford reported to me that the river was rising again and that he could not go down on Monday. I accordingly telegraphed that night to General Custis Lee, informing him of the facts and requesting him to notify Colonel Mulford that my medicla officer wold meet him at Boulware's 10.30 a. m. Monday mornign to make arrangements for the speedy delivery of our prisoners. Doctor Brock had to wait until 3 p. m. for Colonel Mulford, and arranged for the marching of the men on Tuesday. I instructed Doctor Brock to inform Colonel Mulford that I would come down with the steam-boats, if possible, but if not able to do so I would make every arrangement I could for helping the prisoners to Richmond, if they concluded to attempt the march. The prisoners did so elect, with a full knowledge of the facts, and every possible facility of guards,


* The evidence referred to in this report is not found.