War of the Rebellion: Serial 115 Page 1027 SUSPECTED AND DISLOYAL PERSONS.

Search Civil War Official Records

Case of Messrs. Posey and Linton.

Richard B. Posey, of Charles Conty, Md., was arrested by order of General Hooker and commited to the Thirteenth Street Prison October 27, 1861. He was charged with having been in communication with the rebels. Lihts supposed to be signals were seen at the windows of his house, which was on the river ipposite Evansport where the rebels had a strong battery. A report of the investigation of this case was made by Lieutenant Colonel George D. Wells, commanidng First Regiment Massachusetts Volunteers, at Camp Hooker, October 30, 1861, containing among other things the following statemenst:

Tom, a colored servant of Mr. Posey, aged about twenty, stated that Massa Dick (Mr. Pesey) used to hoist flags during the day down on the bank of the river; that about two months previous to this statement he sent a barrel of crushed sugar over the river. Alonzo, one of Mr. Posey's servants, stated that Mr. Posey with himself and others went over the river after shad barrels; that Mr. Posey saw a steeamer and told him to row fast; that they got over to the lower side of the wharf; that afteer they got over the steamer came over; that they drew their boat up into a little inleet when Mr. Posey went up to the head boss of some soldiers that were there and got them to come down and hide in a little culmp of pines that were there so as to fire at the steamer's men if they should come there; that he told the soldiers to goide themselves and if the steamer's men got hear enouth to fire upon them; that there were some twenty-five or thirty of the soldieers; that this was about the last of shad time (middle of May).

He was discharged by order of Brigadier General R. B. Marcy November 12, 1861.

Philip H. Linton was arrested on the 6th day of November, 1861, by ordeer of General McClellan on a charge of having been in communication with the rebels and was committed to the Thirteenth Street Prison, but was afterward removed to the Old Capitol. Linton was a resident of Washington in April, 1861, and retired with his wife and sister to the residence of a relative, Richard B. Posey, in Charles County, Md., where they remained up to about the time of his arrest. Some intercourse was known to have taken place between the family of Posey and the family of Evans in Virginia, and the Poseys, including Linton, were accused of communicating with the rebels by signals day and night, conveying letters to and from Virginia and doing other unlawful acts. An investigation was had by order of General Hooker, when it was shown that lights were seen in the southwest room of Posey's house, which were thought to be signals to the rebels, and this room was occupied by Linton. A report of the investigation was made by Lieutenant Colonel George D. Wells, commanding First Regiment massaschusetts Volunteers, at Camp Hooker, October 30, 1861, containing among other things the following statements. * * * * A large number of his friends certified strongly to the loyalty of Linton. On the 13th day of January, 1862, Linton was ordered to be released on taking the oath of allegiance to the United States stipulating not to enter any insurrectionary State nor correspond with persons therein nor do any act hostile or injurious to the United States and giving an approved bond n the sum of $1,000 to observe the conditions of such stupulations. -From Record Book, State Department, "Arrests fdor Disloyalty. "


*Omitted here. See report of E. J. Allen, December 17, p. 1028.