War of the Rebellion: Serial 107 Page 1240 MD., E. N. C., PA., VA., EXCEPT S. W., & W. VA. Chapter LXIII.

Search Civil War Official Records

with orders, that portion of the regiment not doing picket duty left camp at about 3 a. m., and in junction with the Thirteenth Indiana proceeded to a point on the Richmond and Petersburg turnpike near Chester Station and reported to Colonel Voris, Sixty-seventh Ohio, about daylight. Company H, Lieutenant William H. Lyons commanding, was ordered forward on the right, and Company K, Captain Daniel Ferguson, on the left of the turnpike in support of a section of the Fourth New Jersey Battery, Lieutenant [John H. George] commanding. Companies C, (Captain J. H. Allen), D (Captain Specer W. Snyder), and F (Captain Augustus D. Vaughan) moved out on the right on a side road leading to Henry Friend's house, deploying as skirmishers from the house to the turnpike. Soon the enemy were discovered in force on the right and in front maneuvering to advance and passing around the right flank. Lieutenant Colonel Alonzo Alden discovered this flank movement in time to change the line of skirmishers, so that our right might connect with Colonel Howell's brigade, and he had but just accomplished this when the enemy made the attack. The first shots were exchanged at 6.30 a. m. At 9 a. m. Companies G (Lieutenant C. D. Merrell), I)Captain Daniel J. Cary), A (Captain James F. Thompson), E (Lieutenant Henry Mulhall), and B (Lieutenant James H. Dunn) rejoined the regiment, having been relieved from picket duty. Companies A and I moved out on the right to strengthen the line of skirmishers while B took position on the left, and E and G on the right in support of the battery. A desultory firing and skirmishing was maintained until about 11 a. m., when the enemy made a general attack with one brigade upon our right flank and another with cavalry and artillery upon our center and left. Their advance was made in column of four ranks, and they were received with a destructive fire both from the regiment and the battery. Every officer and man stood to his post nobly, and the quick discharges of grape and canister made most perceptible openings in their ranks. Not until the enemy were fairly upon the guns did the line fall back, and then we fell back, firing, but a short distance to our line on the right on the cross road, for the purpose of checking a flank movement our right. The two companies on the right and the two companies on the left of the battery remained in their respective positions, and did not fall back until the gun on the right of the road had limbered up and the caisson, without the gun, on the left was moving to the rear, and then retired in order.

While I consider that the position was held nobly against a very superior force, and that the lieutenant commanding the battery behaved with coolness and gallantry, yet I cannot account for the caissons going to the rear without the gun. The lieutenant commanding endeavored to halt the caissons, and discharged his revolver at the driver, but did not succeed. Being temporarily the caisson was retreating and the companies supporting the battery retiring in good order. Re-enforcements coming up, the gun was recaptured and the old line re-established. Great credit is due to Lieutenant Colonel Alonzo Alden and Major Colvin for their coolness and gallantry as well as to Actg. Adjt. Clark Smith throughout the whole engagement and during the day. Surgeon Knowslon was present on the field and unremitting in his attentions to the wounded. I do not known of single exception in the good conduct and intelligent bravery of the offices, and all did their whole duty. The list of casualties, herewith appended, shows more plainly than words can express the earnestness and gallantry of the men.* The chaplain, Rev.


* Nominal list (omitted) shows 9 men killed, 34 men wounded, and 13 men missing; total 56.