War of the Rebellion: Serial 107 Page 0620 MD., E. N. C., PA., VA., EXCEPT S. W., & W. VA. Chapter LXIII.

Search Civil War Official Records


New Berne, N. C., May 17, 1862.

Major A. J. MYER,

Signal Officer, Washington, D. C.:

SIR: I have the honor to report that, in obedience to Special Orders, Numbers 42, dated Signal Camp in Instruction, Georgetown, D. C., December 23, 1861, I reported to Brigadier-General Burnside at Annapolis, Md., on the 25th of December, 1861. A party was immediately organized under his direction for service with the expedition under his command. A list of the officers composing that party accompanies this report. (Paper marked A.*) The instruction of this party was immediately commenced, and on the 10th of January, 1862, I was able to report the party as instructed, and equipments having arrived from Washington, I equipped the party with signal apparatus, telescopes, &c. The expedition sailed from Annapolis January, 1862, and the signal party was directed to take passage in the schooner Colonel Satterly until the arrival of the expedition at Fort Monroe. Contrary winds blowing, we were unable to reach Fort Monroe before the ---, when the expedition had sailed. We immediately started on in the schooner to overtake the expedition, but owing to the severe weather experienced, we were fourteen days on the schooner between Fort Monroe and Hatteras Inlet. On arriving at Hatteras, General Burnside, to be realized, and immediately directed us to separate to different positions on gun-boats for the expected attack on Roanoke Island. During the sail from Hatteras Inlet to Roanoke Island communication was kept up between the different vessels, and was of essential service in conveying orders and intelligence.

On the 7th and 8th of February, 1862, the battle of Roanoke was fought. This being matter for a special report, I will only state here that the officers and men behaved with the utmost coolness and developed the system of signals very successfully. After the battle of Roanoke Island, I was ordered by General Burnisde to have my officers and men stationed on different gun-boats, for an attack on New Berne, which order I immediately obeyed by placing officers and men on different steamers, with the generals; also with the commodore, and on different gun-boats. We landed with the troops on the morning of March 13, 1862, at the mouth of Slocum's Creek, and advanced within a mile of the enemy's battery. On the morning of the 14th of March, during the heaviest firing, a dispatch was sent to me from General Burnside to signal the fleet that they were firing on our troops, and should fire farther in advance, which order I obeyed by sending the message myself to the commodore's boat. He immediately raised his signal to cease firing; sent a boat ashore to me. I then gave him directions how and where our troops were stationed. After the battle of New Berne I was ordered by General Burnside to station as many officers and men as I thoughout necessary at different points around Fort Macon. I immediately ordered stations for communication at Morehead City, Carolina City, Beaufort, Boque Island, on board of several gun-boats; also one at General Parke's headquarters. The officers and men under my command worked very skillfully, and behaved themselves very well during the reduction of Fort Macon in directing our guns on the spit, and were highly complimented by General Parke for services rendered. I would also state [that] my officers


*Not found.