War of the Rebellion: Serial 106 Page 0982 OPERATIONS ON THE PACIFIC COAST. Chapter LXII.

Search Civil War Official Records

CARSON, September 21, 1864-2. 30 p. m.

Major-General McDOWELL:

Can the remaining troops at Fort Churchill be detained for a few days until I can have a personal interview with you in regard to our peculiar situation? Have you received my communication sent some weeks since? Will you cause the arms at Benicia destined for this Territory to be forwarded? I have authority from War Department to distribute them.


Governor of the Territory of Nevada.

SAN FRANCISCO, September 21, 1864.

Governor J. W. NYE,

Carson City, Nev. Ter.:

Your request for temporary delay in movement of troops is granted. Shall be glad to see you, and would go at once to Carson if it were possible for me to leave here at this time. Your letter was received on my return from Oregon.


Major-General, Commanding.

SAN FRANCISCO, September 21, 1864.


Fort Churchill, Nev. Ter.:

Stop all movement of troops from Fort Churchill to Salt Lake until further orders.

By order:


Assistant Adjutant-General.

FORT VANCOUVER, WASH. TER., September 21, 1864.

Lieutenant Colonel R. C. DRUM,

Assistant Adjtutant-General, San Francisco:

The superintendent of Indian affairs recommends the abandonment of Fort Hoskins. I concur. Shall I issue the order?


Brigadier-General, U. S. Volunteers.


Fort Vancouver, Wash. Ter., September 21, 1864.

His Excellency A. C. GIBBS,

Governor of Oregon, Salem, Oreg.:

GOVERNOR: I have to acknowledge the reception of your letter of the 16th instant. The letter from Major-General McDowell, commanding the Department of the Pacific, to which you refer, doubtless was due to an application I had made for authority to raise a company of First Oregon Cavalry at Fort Boise. After you sent me your appointment of Mr. Holtzenhausen it appeared that authority must be obtained, &c. Governor Lyon has since given his written consent to the recruiting being carried on in Idaho Territory, credit being given to that