War of the Rebellion: Serial 103 Page 0052 KY., S. W. VA., TENN., N. & C. GA., MISS., ALA., & W. FLA.

Search Civil War Official Records

Numbers 2. Report of Major Gustavus Schnitzer, Second Iowa Cavalry, commanding expedition.


Eastport, Miss., February 24, 1865.

LIEUTENANT: In compliance with orders from division headquarters I started on the morning of the 19th of February, in command of 425 men and eight wagons (300 men of Second Iowa and 125 men of Ninth Illinois Cavalry), with three days' rations for men and horses. The road for the first ten miles was rough and hilly; one wagon broke down and was sent to camp. Arrived first evening at Oates' plantation, fifteen miles from Eastport and one mile from Memphis and Charleston Railroad, and camped for the night. Started next day, February 20, at daybreak, following the railroad, and found the same, lately repaired by Roddey's men, in good running condition to within one mile of Tuscumbia, but no train had passed over the road since last December. Three miles from Tuscumbia my advance struck about fifteen of the enemy, who rapidly retreated through town. At this place I found two caissons of 12-pounder guns in good condition, which I destroyed. Arrived at Tuscumbia at 2 p. m.; drove about twenty rebels from town. Here I learned that General Roddey was at Mount Hope, or near Moulton, with about 1,000 meen, and Captain Warren at Russellville with about 100 men. The road to the latter place was reported as very bad, through mountains. I concluded to camp for the night at Tuscumbia. I sent patrols out on all roads, who learned as above stated. The patrol to Tennessee River destroyed three small ferry-boats and one pontoon. Next morning I started with 300 of my best mounted men for Russellville, leaving the rest of the command and wagons with Captain Bandy in town. I struck the mountains four miles from Tuscumbia; the roads very hilly and stony, and for teams impassable. Here my flankers picket up fourteen of Roddey's men, who were very glad to get into our hands, all reporting Roddey at or near Mount Hope, collecting his men together to go with them to Tuscaloosa, Ala., where he is ordered to report by General Forrest. Three miles from Russellville I sent Major McManis, of the Ninth Illinois Cavalry, with his command on the trot to get possession of the roads leading into the town. He found no enemy there. Here we captured and burned a large mail, and received information that Roddey had left Mount Hope the day before, February 20. He had information of my coming, and had been informed that my command was 5,000 strong. Having complied with my orders, I returned to Tuscumbia same day, having made thirty-six miles, Captain Bandy meantime having captured Lieutenant-Colonel Windes, of the Fourth Alabama (rebel) Cavalry, whose papers* I herewith transmit. I would here mention that Private Thomas Pierson, Second Iowa Cavalry, orderly for Major Moore, by himself and with no arms but his saber, captured on my flank three armed rebels that were watching our movements, and brought them safely into camp. Next morning, February 22, started back at 10 a. m., marching fifteen miles, and camped for the night. Here Lieutenant Colonel Windes escaped from his guard of three men at the risk of his life. The night was very dark and rainy. Broke camp February 23 at daybreak, marching to Eastport, arriving at 3 p. m. without loss of man or horse on the expedition. The result of the expedition is as follows: Pene


* Not found.