at 12 m to-day. Should any notice of a renewal of the armistice be received I will ifnorm you immediately, and your troops will go into camp where they happen to be, if practicable.
CHARLOTTE, N. C., April 26, 1865.
General WADE HAMPTON,
Greensborough, N. C.:
If you think it better you can, with the approval of General Johnston, select now, as proposed for a later period, the small body of men and join me at once, leaving General Wheeler to succeed you in the command of the cavalry.
April 16, 1865.
General J. E. JOHNSTON,
GENERAL: On my return to-night I was notified that your army had been surrendered. Yesterday the honorable Secretary of War ordered me to move to South Carolina, where the enemy were threatening some portion of the State, and I was carrying out this order when I was notified of your surrender. This fact, and the additional one of my absence during all the late negotiations, relieve me from the surrender, and I beg most respectfully to say that I do not regard myself as embaraced in the capitulation. It is due to you, as well as myself, that this explanation should be made. I will add that if the Secretary of War regards me as embraced in your terms, oir desires me to accept them, I shall at once disband my men.
I am, very respectfully, yours,
HOLTSBURG, April 26, 1865-7. 30 p. m.
I think you had best bring all Enfield rifles and ammunition practicable. Arms now in men's hands cannot be supplied with ammunition.
NEAR GREENSBOROUGH, April 26, 1865.
Major General M. C. BUTLER,
Inform General Sherman that General Johnston is delayed by an accident on the railroad. He cannot tell how long the delay will last. He has already started.
RICHARD J. MANNING,
First Lieutenant and Aide-de-Camp.