CITY POINT, VA., March 3, 1865-2 p.m.
If there are any army gun-boats that can accompany the expedition up the Rappahannock I want them to go with it. Some others should also go. Please communicate with Commodore Radford, and ask him to send two or more of his light-draft gun-boats with the expedition. There will be no objection to taking any that are now guarding roads leading to the river anywhere from Varina to Jamestown Island. The boatshe sends may start as soon as they can be got off to await the arrival of the troops in the Rappahannock.
U. S. GRANT,
MARCH 3, 1865.
Lieutenant-General GRANT, City Point:
Two army gun-boats will go with the expedition, and probably three, Pilots will be necessary for them. Will you give the instructions for the pilots?
CITY POINT, VA., March 3, 1865.
Commanding Army of the James:
Say to General Longstreet that my reply to General Lee's communication will be delivered to him at 12 m. to-morrow.
U. S. GRANT,
HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE JAMES, March 3, 1865. [Received 4.30 p.m.]
Brigadier General JOHN A. RAWLINS:
Forty-six deserters from the enemy since my last report.
JNO. W. TURNER,
Brigadier-General and Chief of Staff.
HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE JAMES, March 3, 1865-6 p.m.
Henry's brigade of 1,800 men, under command of Colonel S. H. Roberts, One hundred and thirty-ninth New York Volunteers, will go on the expedition. Will the transports be ready at Deep Bottom at noon to-morrow?