War of the Rebellion: Serial 095 Page 1136 N. AND SE. VA., N. C., W. VA., MD., AND PA. Chapter XVIII.

Search Civil War Official Records

general, First Cavalry Division, who furnished me with a mounted detail, I succeeded in procuring a supply of ammunition, which was delivered and distributed to the men on the line of battle, while heavily engaged, by Captain A. C. Houhgton, Second Ohio Cavalry, and acting aide-de-camp, and Lieutenant James Moffitt, Eighteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, both of my staff. They both deserve credit for the zeal and energy displayed by them in the performance of this duty. I desire in this connection to mention Private Alexander Gibbs, of Company H, Second Ohio Cavalry, and orderly for Captain A. C. Houghton, who was untiring in his efforts to supply the men with ammunition, and displayed considerable gallantry in riding along the line of battle distributing it. After repeated charges the brigade carried the breast-works in its front, the First Connecticut Cavalry taking two pieces of field artillery (3-inch rifles); one of the pieces was captured by Major Goodwin, and the other by Lieutenant Lanfare.*

The following are the casualties in the brigade in this engagement viz: 2 officers killed, 9 officer wounded; 47 enlisted men wounded, 7 enlisted men killed.

Marched with the division across the South Side Railroad next day and camped near Namozine Creek. The following day, April 3, marched in rear of the division, the Second and Third Brigades being engaged all day in a running fight with the enemy. From Namozine Church I sent forward to the support of the Third Brigade the Third New Jersey and the Second New York Cavalry, by order of General Custer. These regiments were engaged near Sweat House Creek at the last stand made by them during the day, and sustained the following casualties, viz: 4 enlisted men killed, 3 officers and 21 enlisted men wounded. I reached the point where the command was engaged with the remaining regiments of the brigade just as the enemy were pressing one regiment, already engaged, back with considerable vigor. I formed line to cover their falling back, but did not become engaged, the enemy not seeming inclined to advance any farther. Made a reconnaissance toward Deep Creek bridge to ascertain the whereabouts of the enemy after dark, but received orders to return to camp after having advanced about three miles. Marched with the division to Jetersville on the night of 4th of April, reaching it about 7 a.m. on the 5th, crossed Danville railroad and formed line with the division on left of infantry, and about 3 p.m. moved to the right and encamped.

Broke camp at 6 a.m. on April 6, and marching in advance of the division to Harper's farm, on Sailor's Creek, charged the enemy's wagon train with the entire brigade, encountering only a line of skirmishers, all of which was captured, together with about 300 wagons, about 800 mules and horses, and 10 pieces of artillery. The wagons were destroyed or rendered unserviceable subsequently, when the enemy in strong force under General Ewell advanced to relieve their train, my command participating in the affair which resulted in the capture of General Ewell and his command. The following are the captures made by my brigade during the day, viz: 190 commissioned officers (including Generals Kershaw, Du Bose, and Hunter [Hunton], 1,834 enlisted men, 11 battle-flags, 10 pieces of artillery, 2 caissons, 1 limber, and 800 mules and horses; about 300 wagons were captured and destroyed or rendered unserviceable.

The brigade marched with the division on the 7th and 8th, and on evening of 8th, being in advance, captured three trains of cars, with locomotives attached, loaded with supplies, at Appomattox Station, and


*Awarded a Medal of Honor.