War of the Rebellion: Serial 095 Page 0855 Chapter LVIII. THE APPOMATTOX CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

dred and eighty-eight were formed in line of battle in rear of the First Brigade. At 3.30 o'clock we received orders to resume our line of march and proceeded up the Cox road and railroad some distance, when turning to the left and taking Namozine road we bivouacked in line of battle near Sutherland's Station at 8 p. m. On the morning of the 3rd we marched at 10.30 a. m., continuing the Namozine road, and bivouacked at 9 p. m. four miles from the Namozine Church, having marched fifteen miles. April 4, moved at 6.30 a. m., passing through Dennisville, on the Namozine road, and reached the Danville railroad at 5 p. m. Here we met with Sheridan's command, and entrenchments were thrown up during the night, the Second Brigade occupying the line bordering the roadside. April 5, we remained in position until 1.30 p. m., when orders were received to quit our works and move to the succor of a portion of the cavalry, said to have been cut off by the enemy. We moved but a short distance up the railroad, when we were ordered back to our works, where we remained during the night, with orders to move at 6 a. m. on the morrow, taking the road to Amelia Court-House. 6th, marched in pursuance to orders, taking the line of the Danville railroad. We left the railroad, turning to the left, and passed over the scene of Sheridan's exploit the day previous; rested at Paineville at 2 o'clock p. m., and finally bivouacked four miles from the Appomattox River (High Bridgee) at 9 p. m. April 7, marched this morning at 7 o'clock, crossing the Danville railroad, and bivouacked at 8.30 p. m. at Prince Edward Court-House. April 8, preceded by the Twenty-fourth Corps, in accordance with orders, we took the Lynchburg road, passing Hampden Sidney College. We halted at 12.30 o'clock, coming up with the cavalry. Again moving, we struck the Petersburg railroad near Prospect Station, taking the road toward Appomattox Station. We bivouacked on the roadside at 11.30 p. m. April 9, moved at 5.30 a. m., following Third Brigade, the First Brigade leading, and marched some three miles. Found the cavalry engaged with the enemy near Appomattox Cour-House. I formed my brigade in two lines of battle, joining the Third Brigade on the right, and sent forward a line of skirmishers. Advancing toward the crest of the hill (Clover) in perfect order and precision, we halted at 9.30 a. m., when the word came of the surrender of General Lee, commanding Confederate forces. This was given us by an officer of General Sheridan's staff. This was afterward verified. We were moved from this position to a field in the vicinity of the Court-House by one of General Bartlett's aides, where we bivouacked for the night.

The officers and men of my command, with very few exceptions, faithfully discharged every duty devolving upon them during the entire campaign. They were prompt and energetic in every duty assigned them, and proved themselves equal to any emergency. To individualize, I will not, for all deserve the highest praise for bravery and soldierly conduct.*

I am, captain, very respectfully,


Brevet Brigadier-General, Commanding Second Brigade.


Assistant Adjutant-General, First Division, Fifth Corps.


* Copy of so much of this report as relates to operations April 1 - 5 was furnished General Sheridan April 14.