War of the Rebellion: Serial 095 Page 0025 Chapter LVIII. THE RICHMOND CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

Court-House. This occupied until 3 p. m., when the advanced in the direction of Gordonsville. He found the enemy re-enforced by infantry, behind well-constructed rifle-pits, about five miles from the latter place, and too strong to successfully assault. On the extreme right, however, his reserve brigade carried the enemy's works twice, and was twice driven therefor by infantry. Night closed the contest. Not having sufficient ammunition to continue the engagement, and his animals being without forage (the country furnishing but inferior grazing), and hearing nothing from General Hunter, he withdrew his command to the north sid of the North Anna, and commenced his return march, reaching White House at the time before started. After breaking up the depot at that place he moved to the James River, which he reached safely after heavy fighting. He commenced crossing on the 25th, near Fort Powhatan, without further molestation, and rejoined the Army of the Potomac.

On the 22nd General Wilson, with his own division of cavalry, of the Army of the Potomac, and General Kautz's division of cavalry, of the Army of the James, moved against the enemy's railroads south of Richmond. Striking the Wilton railroad at Reams' Station, destroying the depot and several miles of the road, and the South side road about fifteen miles from Petersburg, to near Nottoway Station, where he met and defeated a force of the enemy's cavalry, he reached Burkeville Station on the afternoon of the 23rd, and from there destroyed the Danville railroad to Roanoke bridge, a distance of twenty-five miles where he found the enemy in force, and in a position from which he could not dislodge him. He then commenced his retur march, and on the 28th met the enemy's cavalry in force at the Welodn railroad crossing of Stony Creek, where he had a severe butt not decisive engagement. Thence he made a detour from his left, with a view of reaching Reams' Station, supposing it ot be in our possession. At this place he was met by the enemy's cavalry, supported by infantry, and forced to retire, with a loss of his artillery and trains. In this last encounter General Gautz, with a part of his command, became separated and made his way into our lines. General Wilson, with the remainder of his force, succeeded in crossing the Nottoway River, and coming in safely on our left and rear. The damage to the enemy in this expedition more than compensated for the losses we sustained. It severed all connection by railroad with Richmond for several weeks.

With a view of cutting the enemy's railroad from near Richmond to the Anna Rivers, and making him wary of the situation of his army in the Shenandoah, and, in the event of failure in this, to take advantage of his necessary withdrawal of troops from Petersburg to explode a mine that had bee prepared in front of the Ninth Corps and assault the enemy's lines at that place, on the night of the 26th of July the Second Corps and two divisions of the Cavalry Corps and Kautz's cavalry were crossed to the north bank of the James River and joined the force General Butle road there. On the 27th the enemy was driven from his entrenched position, with the loss of four pieces of artillery. On the 28th our lines were extend from Deep Bootom to New Market road, but in getting this position were attacked by the enemy in heavy force. The fighting lasted for several hours, resulting in considerable loss to both sides. The first object of this moved having failed, by reason of the very large force thrown there by the enemy, I determined to take advantage of the diversion made, by assaulting Petersburg before he could get his force back there. One division of the Second Corps was withdrawn on the night of the 28th, and moved