War of the Rebellion: Serial 092 Page 0285 Chapter LVI. THE SAVANNAH CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

Hutchinson's Island, and went into position in rear of the Third Brigade, Second Division, there skirmishing slightly with the enemy. In this position it remained until 3 p. m., when, in compliance with orders from the general commanding division, it was placed in position on the right of the Third Brigade, and relieved the troops of the Second Brigade, Second Division, Twentieth Corps. At 1 a. m. December 12, in obedience to orders, the brigade was placed under arms, and afterward formed in line in rear of the Third Brigade, to await for me to occupy the position of the Third Brigade when it moved out, it being understood that these troops were to assault the works of the enemy at 2. 30 a. m., and then report to him for further instructions. At 4. 30 a. m. I received, through Captain Lambert, orders from the general commanding division to withdraw my command and march it to its original position, the assault having been postponed. December 12 to December 20, inclusive, the command remained in the position previously mentioned. A substantial line of works was throw up for the protection of the command from the artillery of the enemy, and, in addition to this, two forts, with thirteen embrasures in the aggregate, were constructed by the command. The working parties on Fort Numbers 2 were under the command of Captain Kreider, One hundred and forty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, and those on Fort Numbers 3 under command of Captain E. B. Woodbury, Twenty-ninth Ohio Volunteers. Both these officers and the men under their command are deserving of praise for the energy and perseverance manifested in the prosecution of the duty assigned them. December 21, the enemy having evacuated their position the night previous, their works were occupied at an early hour by the skirmishers of the division, and by sunrise the city of Savannah was entered and occupied, this brigade being the second in line in the advance into the city. Soon after reaching the city the Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania and Twenty-ninth Ohio Volunteers, under the command of Colonel John Flynn, Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteers, were, by order of the general commanding division, through Captain Veale, aide-de-camp, dispatched to occupy Fort Jackson and the smaller forts and batteries near it. The possession of the fort and other works was gained without resistance. The Fifth Ohio Volunteers, Lieutenant-Colonel Kirkup commanding, was placed in charge of the arsenal of President street. With the remainder of the command I took possession of the U. S. barracks. Attached to this report please find inventories of ordnance, and ordnance stores found at each of those places. *

I have the honor to call your attention also to the statements of the brigade quartermaster and brigade commissary, and would respectfully state that the forage and subsistence taken by the troops at halt s and camps do not enter into these estimates. + The supply trains are in much better condition than they were on leaving Atlanta, notwithstanding the long and tedious march over roads which at times seemed almost impassable. The rations, owing to judgment exercised by Lieutenant Samuel D. Conner in their issue, lasted until the night of the 15th instant. He is deserving of especial credit for the systematic manner in which he secured supplies, and for their equitable distribution to the troops of the command.


*Embodied in Geary's report, p. 280.

+These statements show 250 head beef cattle, 65 head sheep, 2,000 pounds bacon, 600 bushels sweet potatoes, 3 barrels salt, 2 barrels molasses, 250 sacks corn meal, 4 horses, 30 mules, 58,425 pounds corn, and 84,000 pounds fodder.