War of the Rebellion: Serial 092 Page 0247 Chapter LVI. THE SAVANNAH CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

The men and officers executed all orders on this difficult maneuver with most commendable alacrity and promptness. Marched about eight miles. December 10, marched at 6 a. m., the One hundred and fiftieth Regiment in advance of the corps; advance three miles to the Savannah and Charleston Railroad, and at 8 a. m. commenced tearing up the railroad. Advanced again at 9 a. m. to within four miles of Savannah and formed line of battle, and sent out the right wing of the One hundred and fiftieth Regiment as skirmishers and established the picket-line. Captain Gildersleeve with his company went out foraging and came upon the rebel dispatch boat Ida; captured and burned it. They took 13 prisoners, 1 of them a Confederate colonel, Clinch by name. December 11, remained in same position. December 12, advanced the line 500 yards and erected breast-works, the One hundred and fiftieth on the right of the brigade next the road. December 13, 14, and 15 remained in same position; men very destitute of food, rice and fresh meat the only articles, and ten pounds of rice to 100 men. December 16, moved at 6 a. m. up the river about four miles; crossed over the river to Argyle Island, near the south and of the island. The soldiers procured plenty of unhulled rice, and, pounding it out, supplied themselves bountifully. Crossed the river in town. December 17 and 18 remained in same position. December 19, relieved the Third Wisconsin Regiment in the works on the island at daylight, and crossed to the South Carolina shore at 3 p. m. to support the balance of the brigade. Sent out two companies on picket. The rebel gun-boat shelled us vigorously and killed one man on the island. December 20, the line was extended to the right by a reconnaissance, in which three companies of the One hundred and fiftieth were engaged, to a creek opposite Savannah; established line and threw up rifle-pits or breast-works, and retired, losing only one man killed. December 21, received orders at 7 o'clock to recross the river, as Savannah was ours. Commenced recrossing to Argyle Island. The One hundred and fiftieth crossed first and then took position on the extreme southeasterly point of the island, to cover the crossing of the balance of the brigade. The rebels pressed our rear guard, and Companies C and I of the One hundred and fiftieth opened fire upon them with good effect, checking their advance and enabling the rear of the brigade to cross safely. The wind was very high, rendering the boats unmanageable, and the day was consumed in crossing to Argyle Island. Our noble colonel, who had returned but two days before and assumed command of his regiment, was severely wounded in this skirmish. The country can ill afford to lose the service, even for a time, of one so devoted to his regiment, and so competent, faithful, and energetic in the discharge of every duty. The regiment crossed to the south side of Argyle Island, and remained on the dike all night awaiting an opportunity to cross. December 22, commenced crossing the river in small boats at 9 a. m. By crossing to the sand-bar and walking across it and thence to the main shore the regiment was all over the river at 12 m. Marched at 4 o'clock to Savannah and encamped about two miles out of the city, near the Savannah River, second regiment from the left of our brigade.

As and approximate estimate of the amount of provisions secured on this march by the One hundred and fiftieth Regiment, I would say two pounds potatoes per day man from November 18 to and including December 8, twenty days.

Gross amount of potatoes. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pounds. . . . . . . . 20,200

Fresh meat, aside from issue. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Do. . . . . . . . . . 15,000

Sirup. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Gallons. . . . . . . 640