War of the Rebellion: Serial 092 Page 0234 Chapter LVI. OPERATIONS IN S. C., GA., AND FLA.

Search Civil War Official Records

Captain G. W. Reid, all from the One hundred and seventh New York Volunteers, did not return. I have since learned they were captured by the enemy five or six miles from the column. Passed through Social Circle and Rutledge this day, and encamped four miles from Madison. November 19, the brigade marched through Madison and encamped four miles east of that place. November 20, it marched to within four miles of Eatonton. November 21, it passed through Eatonton and marched to Little River. November 22, marched to Milledgeville, the capital of Georgia. When within one mile of the city the Third Wisconsin and One hundred and seventh New York Volunteers were sent forward as guard to the city, Colonel William Hawley, Third Wisconsin Volunteers, being appointed post commander. The brigade then marched through the city, crossed the Oconee River, encamping near it. The State arsenal a large amount of public property was destroyed at this place, for particular of which I respectfully refer to report of Colonel Hawley, commanding Third Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and also to appendix to this report, marched C. November 23, remained in camp in Milledgeville; Second Massachusetts Volunteers joined the brigade here. November 24, the brigade marched to within three miles of Hebron Post-Office. November 25, it crossed Buffalo Creek and marched to within four miles of Sandersville. November 26, the brigade this day had the advance; moved out of camp at 6. 30 a. m., and after marching two miles, the Ninth Illinois Cavalry* in our front encountered the enemy, who were posted on a small creek, the road through which had been obstructed by fallen trees. The enemy were soon dislodged and pursued to Sandersville, at which place they made a stand, driving back our cavalry. I then deployed six companies of the Thirteenth New Jersey Volunteers as skirmishers, with four companies in reserve, and advanced on them, the Ninth Illinois being disposed on the flanks. The enemy gave way before my skirmishers, and I entered town at the same time as did the Fourteenth Corps, who same in on another road to the left. Moving to the right I followed the enemy through town and one mile beyond, skirmishing a little. My loss was two men wounded, belonging to the Thirteenth New Jersey Volunteers. I was then recalled and ordered with the rest of the division to Tennille Station, on the Georgia Central Railroad, where I destroyed about three miles of track and encamped for the night. November 27, marched to Davidsborough Station, Numbers 22; crossed Williamson's Swamp Creek. November 28, destroyed three miles of railroad track and marched to Spiers Station. November 29, destroyed four miles of railroad track of Geogia Central, two saw-mills and lumber yards, and the timber for four large bridges ready for use. One of the bridges was marched Strawberry Plains, one Chattanooga Creek; the other two names have escaped my memory. This timber has been gotten out and made ready for use, even to having the pegs to unite it turned, and was intended, as I afterward learned from a citizen, for future operations of the enemy in East Tennessee. I should estimate the number of feet in this pile of timber to be 1,500,000. November 30, crossed the Ogeechee and encamped three miles southeast of Louisville.

December 1, crossed Jones' Mill Creek, Dry, Spring, Baker's, and Camp Creeks, camping near Jones's Mill Creek. December 2, passed through Birdville and encamped at Buck Head Church. December 3, crossed Waynesborough railroad and marched three miles to Millen. December 4 crossed Little Ogeechee Creek at Hunter's Mills and encamped


* Mounted infantry.