War of the Rebellion: Serial 090 Page 0611 Chapter LV. THE SHENANDOAH VALLEY CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

ward Wickham's moved to that flank. by direction of General Fitz Lee I took immediate charge of the cavalry on the right. The enemy frequently attacked the right of the line, but made no impression, and the brigades held their position until late int eh evening, and when ordered to withdraw did so unbroken and in good order. Wickham's brigade was not engaged on the right, but sent tot he support of the cavalry on our left, who were immediately under the command of Major General Fitz Lee. For the part taken by Imboden's and McCausland's brigades on that day I refer you to General Lee's report.* Johnson's and Jackson's brigades were the last to leave the field, and covered the retreat and flank of our army, which was threatened from the Millwood road.

On the 22nd of September my division, with the exception of McCausland's brigade, was dismounted and placed on their left of the line at Fisher's Hill and directed to throw up works continuous whit those of the infantry. This line was over one mile long and to be occupied by about 1,000 men. On the left of my line was an open wood, about three-quarters of a mile tot he mountain, which I could only occupy by a thin line of skirmishers. Having only a few entrenching tools, borrowing from time to time rom the infantry, and the short time of my occupation, the line was not made a strong one; it was naturally very weak. I was notified by the lieutenant-general commanding about 12 o'clock that he enemy were amassing on the left (my front). I immediately took every means to strengthen my line and to increase my force by taking men from the led horses. About 4 p. m. I discovered a force fa the enemy moving perpendicular to my line of works and about half a mile to the left, on the side of the mountain. I immediately changed my front to meet his force, notifying the nearest division infantry commander of the fact, and asking that the works left by me should be immediately occupied. I met the force from their mountain (about two brigades) and drove them back some distance, but the works on my right (my original front) not being occupied as I expected, the enemy advanced son that front and mo ed on my rear. The infantry failed to come to my support; I was forced of all back; rallied on the next line, where I found an infantry brigade, which was the third that had been sent to my support. This brigade was unbroken and had not fired a shot. I foamed most of my men on the left of this command and tried to urge them forward. The cavalry advanced; the infantry broke and ran. I then withdrew my command, seeing that the whole army was falling back, my men being well together and one brigade (Imboden's) preserving its organization unbroken. McCausland's brigade was not engaged at Fisher's Hill, being detached to picket's the gaps in the rear.

I will mention in connection whit this engagement that the cavalry, being on the left an the first attacked, are generally supposed to have been the first to give way, and are accountable for the disaster of that day. I will state that the infantry brigades sent to the support of the cavalry broke while the cavalry were still engaged and did not reach the point of attack. That the only fighting done on the left of the line was by the cavalry, and I believe if they had been supported that the enemy would have been forced back.

On the 26th of September the enemy attacked and drove in my picket near Port Republic. McCausland's and Imboden's brigades were moved out, dismounted, and checked the enemy's advance after a severe engagement.


*Not found.