War of the Rebellion: Serial 090 Page 0498 OPERATIONS IN N. VA., W. VA., MD., AND PA. Chapter LV.

Search Civil War Official Records

Pursuant to orders received from the chief of cavalry I moved the main body of my division, on the 8th, across the Opequon to Leetown, picketing the Valley with one brigade until the 10th, when it was driven back to Martinsburg by a division of the enemy's infantry. On the 13th, pursuant to instructions from the major-general commanding, I made a reconnaissance with my division to Bunker Hill, Gerrardstown, and Pughtown. The enemy's cavalry were driven beyond Bunker Hill and his infantry found in position. On the 14th I returned to my former position and remained quiet, but with vigilant pickets and active scouting parties out, until the 18th, when the enemy, under Early in person, advanced a division of infantry, with a brigade of cavalry and sixteen pieces of artillery, supported by a division of infantry at Bunker Hill, to Martinsburg, driving my First Brigade across the Opequon after an obstinate resistance, in which several of the enemy were killed and captured.

Battle of the 19th.-In obedience to instructions received from the chief of cavalry, I advanced at 5 a.m. on the 19th across the Opequon to Darkesville, thence to Bunker Hill, driving the enemy's cavalry pickets steadily. The enemy made a determined stand with his cavalry at Bunker Hill and stubbornly resisted the advance of my division to Stephenson's Depot, five miles north of Winchester. At this point my attention was attracted by heavy firing to my left and rear, which was soon ascertained to be General Torbert endeavoring to cross the Opequon with Merrit's division of cavalry. Distant firing could also be heard to the southward. Attacking the enemy opposed to Custer promptly in rear he was enabled to cross and join my left. My division soon shifted entirely to the west side of the pike, and as it advanced the line of battle on the left had an opportunity to form. My division advanced at a trot within three miles of Winchester, never failling to drive the enemy before it. The enemy, one mile in front of the town, presented a strong line at 2.30 p.m., but the attack of my division swept away that portion of his line west of the pike, captured one piece of artillery, seized the heights west of the town, and penetrated the town itself, when the giving away of Custer's brigade opened my left flank to the enemy's attack, an opportunity which he quickly embraced with infantry and artillery, but without succeeding in making my division relinquish the important position it had gained. Three of my staff, with several orderlies, were engaged for some time in rallying Torbert's cavalry, and our advance was delayed on account of the resistance the enemy was enabled to offer. At about this time, 3 p.m., the attack of the infantry of the Army of West Virginia was made, and it became at once visible to both armies that we had gained the day. The broken ground, intersected by deep ditches and high embankments, west of the town gave the enemy a chance to save his left flank. Opposed by stubborn infantry and well-handled artillery our cavalry on such ground could make but slow progress, but with the shades of evening some of our infantry came to our assistance. Throughout the whole engagement my division was not broken nor thrown into disorder and was constantly in advance. My losses, as stated by informal reports of brigade commanders, in killed, wounded, and missing, were 250. Of the enemy, 3 officers and 80 men were captured, and 1 gun, 1 caisson, and 2 ambulances. The reports received from brigade commanders indicate a greater number of prisoners captured, but the above-mentioned number is all for which my provost-marshal has receipts.

At 5 o'clock on the morning of the 20th, pursuant to instructions received from the chief of cavalry, I marched my division by the Middle