War of the Rebellion: Serial 090 Page 0477 Chapter LV. THE SHENANDOAH VALLEY CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

now ordered to advance to Keezletown, which I did, and ascertained that the enemy had retired on the road to Port Republic. A number of prisoners were captured during the march. I encamped for the night at Peale's Cross-Roads. September 26, I was ordered to advance to Port Republic. While near Cross Keys, Brigadier-General Merritt, commanding First Cavalry Division, came up with the First and Reserve Brigades, and assumed command. When within two miles of Port Republic, my advance-Ninth New York-met and engaged McCausland's cavalry brigade. We soon drove them to the river, across, and nearly to Brown's Gap. The enemy deployed at this time a division of infantry through the woods on our front and right, and we were suddenly attacked on right and rear and compelled to retire, to the open country near the river. The enemy attempted to press, but the accurate range and splendid execution of Taylor's battery soon drove them into the woods. We remained in position until dark and encamped. There was evidently a heavy force in our front. September 27, about noon, Powell's division, on our right, were suddenly attacked by the enemy in force and were driven rapidly past our flank. I was ordered to withdraw from the position I held on the opposite side the river, and marched toward Keezletown. I retired, with slight molestation, and ancamped at the junction of the road to Cross Keys. September 28, the First New York Dragoons were sent to McGaugheystown, and drove the enemy's cavalry out of that place. While endeavoring to communicate with the First New York, Lieutenant Cating, of my staff, had his horse killed and was himself wounded and taken prisoner. September 29, the brigade swung around by Port Republic, Lewis' Furnace, Piedmont, and the Valley pike, to Mount Crawford, destroying and burning 82 barns containing hay and grain, 72 stacks of hay and grain, 5 flouring mills, 2 saw-mills, 1 iron furnace, 1 wagon loaded with grain, and 1 wagon-load of flour, and drove in 321 head of cattle and 20 sheep. September 30, the brigade moved out upon the road to Cross Keys and encamped.

October 2, in a skirmish at the bridge on the turnpike, Lieutenant Saunders, of the Sixth New York, was mortally wounded. The brigade retired two miles to Early's farm and encamped. October 6, the brigade marched to Harrisonsburg, thence by the Middle road to Timberville and encamped. October 7, the brigade marched on the Middle road by Forestville, striking the Valley pike near Edenburg. The enemy threatening our rear, the command was formed in line of battle. At dark I crossed Stony Creek and encamped between Edenburg and Woodstock. October 8, marched to Tom's Brook. The Ninth New York Cavalry were deployed to the right of the pike and the First New York Dragoons to the left for the purpose of destroying grain, &c. These two regiments burnt 115 barns filled with hay grain, 206 stacks of hay and grain, 18 flouring and grist mills, 18,000 bushels of wheat, 1 woolen mill, 2 saw-mills, and 60 acres of stacked corn. The brigade also driven in 290 head of cattle, 319 sheep, and 75 hogs. The railroad depot at Woodstock, containing a locomotive engine and three cars, were also burned. About 4 p.m. the enemy appeared in force on our left and rear, and such part of the brigade as was available was ordered to support the Reserve Brigade then engaged. At dark the brigade encamped near the turnpike. October 9, the brigade was ordered to form in center of the division on the crest south of Tom's Brook and attack the enemy. A special report of this day's operations has already been forwarded.* October 10, the brigade marched


* See report dated October 15, p.483.