War of the Rebellion: Serial 090 Page 0442 OPERATIONS IN N. VA., W. VA., MD., AND PA. Chapter LV.

Search Civil War Official Records

also discovered that Kershaw's division, which had come from Gordonsville, was joining Early through Swift Run Gap. The artillery of the division was placed in an advantageous position and shelled Kershaw's trains with great effect. An attack was ordered on the trains at the same time, but it was found that they were too strongly guarded to be taken, and the attack had no other effect than to scare the enemy mightily. In the afternoon the enemy's infantry made an attack on the skirmish line of the Second Brigade, driving the right of it from a dense chaparral into which it had been pushed forward. A very heavy and accurate artillery fire and a display of mounted squadrons in the open field deterred the enemy from a farther advance. Major Scott, First New York Dragoons, was wounded (the third time during the campaign) in this affair. September 27, the Second Division, in position near weyer's Cave, was driven from that place by a combined attack of cavalry, artillery, and infantry. This division fell back from its position to the right of Port Republic, sending its wagon trains to the First Division. The enemy, instead of advancing to our front, threatened our right and communications by moving in the direction of Cross Keys. To preserve these the command fell back to Cross Keys and took up position for battle. The enemy did not accept the offer, but moved from Brown's Gap the same night to Waynesbourough, where he came in contact with the command of the chief of cavalry at that place. September 28, as soon as it was discovered the enemy were withdrawing from Port Republic, which was done, and the rear guard of the enemy driven toward Waynesborough. September 29, from army headquarters, marched across the country, destroying mills and forage and driving off cattle. This work was completely done throughout the Valley from within a few miles from waynesborough and Staunton to mount Crawford.

September 30 and October 1, remained in camp near Mount Crawford. On the 2nd of October the enemy advanced and skirmishing took place along my entire line, lasting all day. October 3 and 4, remained in camp near Mount Crawford, from which place the division moved, on the 5th, to Cross Keys and vicinity. October 6, moved to Harrisonburg and thence on Middle road to Timberville, destroying forage, grain, &c., and driving off cattle across the entire valley. October 7, marched at 8 a. m., continuing the work of destruction, joining the pike near Edenburg, where the division camped. October 8, moved as rear guard to the army and fought the enemy near Tom's Creek (as reported in separate report of the battle of the 9th). October 9, fought the battle Tom's Creek (report made).* October 10, camped near Tom's Run. October 11, marched to Cedar Creek and camped on the left of the infantry at Bowman's Ford, where we remained during the 12th. October 13, the enemy shelled the infantry camps, and the division was moved to the right of the infantry line, where it remained during the 14th. On the 15th the division marched at dark to Front Royal, starting on an expedition which, for reasons, was afterward abandoned. October 16, returned to camp on the right of the infantry, where we remained during the 17th and 18th. October 19 and 20-accounts of the operations of these dates are given in special reports of the battle of Middletown.+


*See p. 446.

+See p. 448.