War of the Rebellion: Serial 090 Page 0228 OPERATIONS IN N. VA., W. VA., MD., AND PA. Chapter LV.

Search Civil War Official Records

failure to keep the troops properly dressed and to the fact that the Third Division moved forward too rapidly and in advance of the troops upon its right I mainly attribute the failure to succeed in this advance. The troops upon my left also temporarily gave way. The division lost very heavily in this attack. Not to exceed five minutes elapsed before the troops had been halted and were again charged forward. The enemy this time gave way and were forced back several hundred yards, when the again took up a position behind a stone fence upon the face of a hill sloping toward my troops. The division charged forward to a stone fence which was parallel to the enemy's position and about 250 yards distant therefrom. An open field lay between the opposing troops. A stone wall extended at right angles from the right of my line to the left of the enemy's. A sharp and fierce musketry fire was kept up between the contending forces for three-quarters of an hour. Orders were received from Major-General Wright in person to charge the enemy's position. Preparatory to giving the order for the division to charge I ordered Colonel Emerson to send a competent staff officer with volunteer soldiers along and under cover of the stone wall upon the right of the line, with orders to throw themselves upon the enemy's left and open an enfilading fire upon him. This order was immediately carried out and had the desired effect. Captain H. W. Day, One hundred and sixth New York Volunteers, and brigade inspector of the First Brigade, was charged with the execution of the order. His gallant conduct on that occasion was highly meritorious, and for which he deserves promotion. Lieutenant Colonel M. M. Granger, One hundred and twenty-second Ohio Volunteers, volunteered to assist in this strategic movement. As soon as troops could reach the flank of the enemy the troops of the division poured a destructive fire upon the enemy and at once charged across the open ground, driving him in utter rout from his position. A considerable number of prisoners were taken in this charge, also small-arms and two battle-flags. Leander McClurg, One hundred and twenty-second Ohio, captured the battle flag of what he supposed to have been the Forty-fourth (rebel) Virginia Regiment, which he was forced to give up to a staff officer, not since recognized by him. Corpl. Daniel P. Reigle,* Eighty-seventh Pennsylvania, captured a battle-flag from a color bearer of the enemy. The enemy retreated precipitately, throwing away guns, accouterments, &c., in their flight. He was closely pursued by the infantry to and across Cedar Creek. His columns were completely routed, disorganized, and demoralized. Troops of this division were the first to plant colors upon the works along Cedar Creek, which had been abandoned by the Eighth and Nineteenth Corps in the morning. The cavalry of the army was hurled upon the broken and flying troops of the enemy after he had crossed Cedar Creek. Night came on and the infantry gave up the pursuit. The abandoned and disabled guns and caissons of the corps were retaken upon the ground upon which they had been left in the morning.

The cavalry, in its pursuit of the enemy, captured many of the substantial fruits of the great victory which had been so richly earned by the hard fighting of the infantry soldiers. The loss in killed and wounded of the cavalry, compared to that in the infantry, was light, which of itself proves upon whom the burden of the battle rested and was borne.

At dark the troops, under orders, went into their respective camps, from which they had been called up in the morning. Many officers and


*Awarded a Medal of Honor.