War of the Rebellion: Serial 090 Page 0166 OPERATIONS IN N. VA., W. VA., MD., AND PA. Chapter LV.

Search Civil War Official Records

which place we reached soon after daylight the next morning. Upon arriving at Winchester, Colonel Penrose, commanding brigade, received an order for the brigade to remain at Winchester, and to report to General Torbert, chief of cavalry, for orders. Colonel Penrose was ordered by General Torber to place his brigade in position on the southwest of the town, covering all the roads leading to the place-the Fifteenth New Yersey Regiment was placed in position on the right of the line and crossing the Martinsburg pike, the Fourth New Jersey Regiment in reserve and in the center, the Tenth New Jersey Regiment on the left and crossing the Front Royal pike, the front of our line extending for a distance of two miles. Our line was well protected by the nature of the country, stone walls, &c. About two o'clock in the afternoon the cavalry, which had been engaging the enemy during the morning, were driven in. Soon after the enemy advanced a line of dismounted cavalry upon the right of our line, where the Fifteenth New Jersey Volunteers and a portion of the Fourth New Jersey Volunteers were in position. The attack was easily repulsed. The enemy kept up a desultory fire during the greater part of the afternoon, but without inflicting any great injury upon our troops. All the afternoon large columns of the enemy could be seen moving both to our right and left, evidently forming for an attack, nor were we deceived in their movements, for at about 5 o'clock in the afternoon they commenced the attack with great vigor, both on our right and left simultaneously. The advance of the rebel line was made in such overwhelming numbers that we were forced back, after a strong resistance. The right of the line, consisting of the Fifteenth New Jersey Volunteers and a portion of the Fourth New Jersey Volunteers, was cut off from the left and forced to retire by the way of Martinsburg pike. The left, consisting of the Tenth New Jersey Volunteers and the balance of the Fourth New Jersey Volunteers, retired by the way of the Berryville pike. During this part of the movement Lieutenant-Colonel Tay, Tenth New Jersey Volunteers,a nd a portion of his command were captured. The portion of the brigade on the right of the line rallied and covered the approach to the town until the artillery, attached to the cavalry command, could be removed.

On the 18th of August we marched to Charlestown, and went into camp. On the 21st of the month the enemy appeared in our front, made an attack on our skirmish line, but did not succeed in dislodging it. The same night we retired from Charlestown, and arrived at Halltown the next morning, where we took up position. We remained in that position until the 28th of the month, when we marched to Clifton, where we remained quietly in camp until the morning of the 19th instant.

On the 19th and 22nd instant [ultimo], we were engaged in the battles of the opequon and Fisher's Hill, a report of which has already been forwarded by Lieutenant-Colonel Campbell, at that time commanding brigade. A copy accompanies this report.* After the battle of Fisher's Hill we followed the retreating army up the Valley, skirmishing with them almost daily. On the 25th instant [ultimo], we reached Harrisonburg, where we remained quietly in camp (with the exception of marching to Mount Crawford one day and back the next) until the 6th of October, when we commenced our retrograde movement down the Valley, arriving at Strasburg on the 8th instant. On the 10th instant the command marched to Front Royal, where we remained


*See p. 168.