War of the Rebellion: Serial 090 Page 0156 OPERATIONS IN N. VA., W. VA., MD., AND PA. Chapter LV.

Search Civil War Official Records

front, hence this sudden attack of the enemy was almost a surprise, but the troops were soon ready, and the Third Division (Brigadier-General Ricketts) was transferred from its potion in reserve to the left of the line, where General Crook afterward connected within him. Our original position was regained, and the corps ready to repulse any further attack or make one if ordered. The First Division of the Nineteenth Corps moved about noon, and connected with my right. The loss of the corps here was about 260 killed and wounded, a large proportion being from the Second Division, whose conduct on this occasion cannot be too highly praised. At midnight, by orders from the major-general commanding Middle Military Division, the corps moved to its old position at Halltown, covering the infantry movement, reaching that place a little after daylight on the morning of the 22nd. It remained here until the 28th, there being no skirmishing or firing in my front, though some on the front of the rest of the army.

At 7 a. m. of the 28th the corps moved without opposition, and took up about the same position occupied by it before on the pike from Charlestown to Middleway, with the Nineteenth Corps connecting on the left. On the 29th, in the afternoon, the cavalry being pushed back from Middleway and toward the position occupied by this corps, the Third Division was moved out and advanced, in conjunction with the cavalry, to Middleway. A few shots only were fired. The division remained at Smithfield until dark, when it was withdrawn to a position about two miles in rear.

The corps remained at its position near Charlestown until the morning of September 3, when it move to the position heretofore spoken of, designated as Clifton. On the 13th a reconnaissance was made by the Second Division, Brigadier-General Getty, in conjunction with the cavalry, to Gilbert's Ford, on the Opequon. Getty's division reached the creek after General Custer had ascertained that the enemy's infantry was there, and after he had opened fire upon it. The enemy's infantry was found in some force. A few men pushed over developed a still stronger force, till the exhibition of strength showed that the enemy was the in strong force. My orders being not to bring on an engagement, I did not attack. The division remained there until after dark, when it returned to camp, the losses having been ten or twelve wounded. With he exception of this reconnaissance the corps September until the 19th, when it moved across the Opequon and took part in the battle near Winchester. As directed by orders from headquarters Middle Military Division, a special report of the operations of this corps in that engagement and the one at Fisher's Hill, which succeeded, accompanies this report.*

On the night of the 19th the corps encamped at Winchester, and the next day moved to near Strasburg. On the 21st, toward evening, we took an advanced position held by the enemy on our right, with some brief but sharp fighting, parts of the Second and Third Divisions being engaged. On the next day Fisher's Hill was captured and the enemy pursued all night by the Nineteenth Corps and the Sixth, the former in advance. The command of the two corps had been committed to me by Major-General Sheridan. The troops reached Woodstock and were established in camp a little after daylight. The head of the column was fired into once on the route, which occasioned a momentary disturbance, but everything was soon right, and the column moved on without further


*See pp. 149, 152.