HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
October 29, 1864.
Chief of Staff:
GENERAL: Two deserters from Wise's brigade, of Johnson's division, came into General Miles' lines last evening. From them we learn that three brigades of Johnson's division (Ransom's, Gracie's, and Elliott's) moved on Thursday morning last to the right and took the position vacated by Mahone's division, which moved to the extreme right about 10 a. m. of the same day. Wise's brigade was left to hold the line originally occupied by Johnson's division. A rebel lieutenant from the Forty-sixth Virginia, Wise's brigade, came over to General Miles night before last. His statement corroborates the above. Johnson's division had not returned last evening. All the prisoners of war taken in the late engagement represent MacRae's and Cooke's brigade, of Heth's division, and Mahone's old and Wilcox's brigades, of Mahone's division. Information from City Point shows no movement of Pickett's, Field's, or Hoke's divisions.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
JNumbers C. BABCOCK.
STATION NEAR FRIEND'S HOUSE,
October 29, 1864 - 9.30 a. m.
Major B. F. FISHER,
Chief Signal Officer:
There are some very small new camps of the enemy visible this a. m.: one among the new works on the left large enough to indicate that 100 men are there. There is no change in the works.
B. W. MARCY,
In Charge of Station.
AVERY HOUSE, October 29, 1864 - 10 a. m.
Station here reports enemy's works in this front heavily manned.
W. R. DRIVER,
HEADQUARTERS FIFTH ARMY CORPS,
October 29, 1864.
Stations report a train of twenty ambulances moving eastward along
the Cox road this p. m. and the enemy's lines near J. Boisseau's and R. Jones' houses occupied. A small body of infantry in line all the p. m. near Butterworth's house on Boydton plank road.
CHAS. L. DAVIS,