War of the Rebellion: Serial 089 Page 0183 Chapter LIV. CORRESPONDENCE, ETC. - UNION.

Search Civil War Official Records

CITY POINT, VA., October 12, 1864.

Major-General BUTLER:

I think it advisable to send out a strong reconnaissance of infantry and cavalry to drive the enemy from the work they are doing on the Central road. Such a reconnaissance should not go far enough to endanger their being cut of, however. Weitzel should at the same time hold as much force as he can, ready to move to the support of the reconnoitering party if attacked by a superior force.

U. S. GRANT,

Lieutenant-General.

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE JAMES, October 12, 1864-1.25 p.m. (Received 2 p.m.)

Lieutenant General U. S. GRANT,

City Point, Va.:

In compliance with your instructions in regard to the reconnaissance, orders have been issued which went out at 12.30 to-day, copies of which I will forward. We are delayed moving at once by the fact of a flag of truce being out. We shall be all ready to move if the flag of truce returns in season.

BENJ. F. BUTLER,

Major-General.

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE JAMES, October 12, 1864-2.30 p.m.

Lieutenant-General GRANT:

I have the honor to inclose for your information copies of orders* sent to Major-Generals Terry and Weitzel preliminary to the movement you have directed. We are waiting return of flag of truce to move.

BENJ. F. BUTLER,

Major-General.

HEADQUARTERS, October 12, 1864-4 p.m. (Received 4.35 p.m.)

Lieutenant-General GRANT:

I am all ready to move, but the enemy still detain my flag on the picket-line in front of Battery Harrison. I suppose that having moved my troops into position is all I can do till flag returns. I am in doubt whether to move to-night; it is so late.

BENJ. F. BUTLER,

Major-General, Commanding.

HEADQUARTERS, October 12, 1864-5 p.m.

Lieutenant-General GRANT:

My flag is still out. I have sent for it. It is raining, and I submit to you whether any movement best be made till morning. Am all ready.

BENJ. F. BUTLER,

Major-General.

---------------

*See Butler to Terry and Weitzel, 12.30 p.m., pp. 186, 191.

---------------