HEADQUARTERS EIGHTEENTH ARMY CORPS,
September 29, 1864. (Received 7.15 p.m.)
A third train of seventeen cars, loaded with troops, is reported going toward Richmond, and an empty train of twenty-six going back.
E. O. C. ORD,
PLANK ROAD SIGNAL STATION, September 29, 1864-5.45 a.m.
Major B. F. FISHER:
The troops behind the works between the lead-works and large fort west of the Weldon railroad have taken down their tents, but have not yet made any movement. All quiet; no change at other points of their line.
H. W. FULTON,
HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC, September 29, 1864.
Chief of Staff:
GENERAL: The station at the Walthall house reports:
A camp of infantry west of the town (Petersburg) and distant from it about one mile, containing about three regiments, has disappeared since last evening. Enemy still working on new fort near Fort Clifton.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
B. F. FISHER,
Major and Chief Signal Officer.
STATION NEAR FRIEND'S HOUSE, September 29, 1864-7.15 a.m.
No visible change this a.m. Cannot see movement of any nature.
FRIEND'S HOUSE, September 29, 1864-12.30 p.m.
A column of about 1,000 infantry and 200 cavalry just came in at cross-roads and moved west of city.