HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
PROVOST-MARSHAL-GENERAL'S DEPARTMENT, September 13, 1864.
Chief of Staff:
GENERAL: Two deserters from the Seventh North Carolina, Lane's brigade, of Wilcox's division, came into the lines of the Fifth Army Corps yesterday; and two from the Sixteenth Virginia, of Weisiger's brigade, Manohe's division, came into the lines of General Mott's division, Second Army Corps, this morning about daylight. They are all from A. P. Hill's corps, and bring no late information. They all agree to the fact that about a week ago the different brigades of Mahone's and Wilcox's divisions moved to the right, each about the distance occupied by two brigades; did not know what this movement was for. Lane's brigade occupies the extreme right of the line. Two negroes that left Petersburg last Saturday night state that a brigade of infantry and some cavalry moved out on the South Side Railroad about three weeks ago to a station called ---; ten miles from Petersburg.
NOTE.-From the best of our judgment they mean Sutherland's Station. They also state that no troops have been moved back or forth over the Appomattox River for the last two weeks.
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
JNO. C. BABCOCK.
WALTHALL SIGNAL STATION, September 13, 1864.
All quiet this a.m. At 8.30 a train of twenty wagons passed open space to our left of Fort Clifton, going toward enemy's left.
H. W. HOLMAN,
PLANK ROAD SIGNAL STATION, September 13, 1864-6.30 p.m.
Major B. F. FISHER:
The enemy's camp in woods directly in front of this station has disappeared, with the exception of two or three tents, and fewer tents appear in the intrenchments from the Gregory Chimneys to the lead-works. The force behind intrenchments from the lead-works to the fort west of the Weldon railroad is apparently unchanged. Enemy continues active on works at many points. They are constructing a work for a battery upon their rear line and on Cemetery Hill.
H. W. FULTON,
HEADQUARTERS SECOND ARMY CORPS, September 13, 1864-9 a.m.
No change in my lines since last report, except those going on under charge of the engineer department from headquarters.
WINF'D S. HANCOCK,