War of the Rebellion: Serial 088 Page 0592 OPERATIONS IN SE. VA. AND N. C. Chapter LIV.

Search Civil War Official Records

PLANK ROAD SIGNAL STATION,

August 30, 1864.

Major B. F. FISHER:

All quiet. The enemy have opened a signal station of observation in woods 60 degrees west of north from station. The station gives the enemy a view of nearly all the open country in our rear between this point and woods south of Fort Griffin.

H. W. FULTON,

Sergeant.

AUGUST 30, 1864 - 9.20 a. m.

Major B. F. FISHER,

Chief Signal Officer, Hdqrs. Army of the Potomac:

A column of about 3,000 infantry and eighty pieces of artillery moved out of Petersburg toward the left. The caissons with the artillery were packed with grain.

A. C. JORDAN,

Sergeant.

HDQRS. ARMY OF THE POTOMAC, SIGNAL DEPARTMENT,

August 30, 1864.

Major-General HUMPHREYS,

Chief of Staff:

GENERAL: The following dispatch received from the Jordan house station:

The enemy are constructing heavy earth-works at a point on left bank of the Appomattox north-northwest from this station and nearly opposite the Rushmore house. It will command and enfilade the ravine in rear of Battery Numbers 5, where the 13-inch mortar is located.

T. R. CLARK.

They, the enemy, have established a station of observation in rear of the Gregory Chimneys, which will command a view of the plain around the Jones house and that between these headquarters and the Avery house.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

B. F. FISHER,

Major and Chief Signal Officer.

GENERAL ORDERS, WAR DEPT., ADJT. GENERAL'S OFFICE,

No. 249.

Washington, August 30, 1864.

Captain Ely S. Parker, assistant adjutant-general, U. S. Volunteers, is announced as private secretary on the staff of Lieutenant-General Grant, with the rank of lieutenant-colonel, vice W. R. Rowley, resigned.

By order of the Secretary of War:

E. D. TOWNSEND,

Assistant Adjutant-General.

SPECIAL ORDERS, HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,

No. 234.

August 30, 1864.

* * * * * * *

6. In compliance with paragraph 12, of Special Orders, Numbers 282, of August 26, 1864, from the War Department, the organization known