War of the Rebellion: Serial 087 Page 0246 OPERATIONS IN SE. VA. AND N. C. Chapter LIV.

Search Civil War Official Records

enemy's fire these troops at once retired in confusion to the position held by them when the battle began (or rather to a point a short distance to the left), where they were reformed. General Hancock's horse was shot under him while he was urging these troops forward. A minie-ball struck the horse through the neck and it fell to the ground as if killed; in a few moments, however, it recovered enough to get up, and after a short time the general mounted it recovered enough to get up, and after a short time the general mounted it again. By this time General Miles was fighting back toward the church, along the breast-works, with considerable success. He had also gotten a skirmish line out on the enemy's left flank to the right of the large white house near the railroad. This skirmish line pushed well in on the enemy's flank, fighting with great gallantry. General Hancock now directed me to tell General Gibbon to push one of his brigades, if possible, upon the enemy at the church, so as to meet Miles, who was gallantly fighting up on the right toward the church. In going to General Gibbon I met General Smyth, commanding one of his brigades, and telling him my orders to General G., I gave him also General Hancock's directions, telling him to attack as quickly and forcibly as possible toward the road and church. General Smyth answered that his brigade had just been repulsed and he could not get if forward again. I then went on to General Gibbon and gave him the order. He answered that his division had made an advance toward the crest near the church, but had retired upon receiving the enemy's fire; that he was at that moment trying to get a line of skirmishers forward. This was about 6.15 p. m. About 6.45 p. m. the enemy made a spirited advance upon General Gibbon's line of rifle-pits in the corn-field. Gibbon's division at once fell back in great confusion. Gregg's cavalry, dismounted, which was posted in rifle-pots on Gibbon's left, fought gallantly, and completely checked the enemy's advance in that direction until darkness came on, when our troops were withdrawn from the field and marched to the vicinity of the Williams house. No re-enforcements reached General Hancock on this occasion, although they could readily have been sent down the railroad. Willcox's division, Ninth Corps, was sent around by the Jerusalem plank road, but did not get on the field. In this action Captain Brownson, commissary of musters, Second Corps was killed, and Colonel F. A. Walker, assistant adjutant-general, Second Corps, was captured by the enemy.

August 27, 1864.-First Division moved from near Williams' house to a position supporting Third Division; the troops of the first Division being massed between Deserted House and the house formerly occupied by General Warren.

August 28, 1864.-Quiet. No changes in positions of troops.

August 29, 1864.-Quiet. No movements by Second Corps this day.

August 30, 1864.-Picket-line advanced in front of Strong's house. Commenced building fort on crest directly in front of same house; Second Division moved rom its position near Williams' house to secure line of works in rear Jones' house.

August 31, 1864.-Quiet. Troops engaged in building fort in front of Strong's house and strengthening redan on left of plank road at Fort Hell.*


*Officially known as Fort Sedgwick.