NEW ORLEANS, August 29, 1864-8.30 p.m.
Send General McGinnis with 3,000 infantry, 1,000 or 2,000 cavalry, and one battery,to drive off a rebel force and battery near Bayou Sara. Let the force land at Bayou Sara under the cover of the gun-boats and act from there as circumstances require. If your information warrants it vary the above force to suit the case. It is supposed General Dennis and force have returned and that you have transportation sufficient.
J. J. REYNOLDS,
NEW ORLEANS, August 29, 1864.
(Received 10.35 a.m.)
Brigadier General G. L. ANDREWS,
The major-general commanding directs that you will please inform him at once what you know of the rebel force at Bayou Sara and your ideas of their strength, &c.
C. T. BARRETT,
Lieutenant and Acting Aide-de-Camp.
HDQRS. SECOND DIVISION, SEVENTH ARMY CORPS, Devall's Bluff, August 29, 1864.
Major General F. STEELE:
The Nevada left Saint Charles since the Sally List, and what I can learn indicates that Colonel Moore is not doing a thing toward moving. I suggested last evening that the Celeste be sent down to bring them up. The Nevada, now here, might go down. She is not, however, yet unloaded. The Tycoon is at Saint Charles waiting.
C. C. ANDREWS,
HDQRS. SECOND DIVISION, SEVENTH ARMY CORPS, Devall's Bluff, August 29, 1864-8.30 a.m.
Captain C. H. DYER,
I am afraid much valuable time is being lost. If we fail in this enterprise after Shelby will not the effect the extremely damaging? If Colonel Moore is to come up he should come promptly. I don't know what business he had to send up the Kate Hard to represent the obstacles. I thought the Celeste should have been started down last night to hurry him up.
C. C. ANDREWS,
LITTLE ROCK, ARK., August 29, 1864.
Brigadier General C. C. ANDREWS,
Commanding, Devall's Bluff, Ark.:
The most time seems to be lost in the delay of dispatches. If I had known yesterday afternoon or evening that ammunition must be sent