War of the Rebellion: Serial 082 Page 0579 Chapter LII. CORRESPONDENCE, ETC. - UNION.

Search Civil War Official Records

FORT MONROE, July 28, 1864.

Colonel H. L. ABBOT:

Your telegram of this date is received. I have no Coehorn ammunition on hand at present; will send you some as soon as it is received. Will send you to-day 2,870 8-inch mortar shells, 3,000 8-inch mortar fuses, 1,700 rounds for 30-pounder Parrotts, 406 rounds for 4 1/2-inch gun, and 1,000 percussion fuses for 30-pounder projectiles. The rest of the ammunition ordered to you as fast as it is received.


Captain of Ordnance.

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC, July 28, 1864-12.15 p.m.

Colonel ABBOT:

Have the 10-inch and 8-inch mortars for the front of the Fifth Corps put in position as soon as possible. It is desirable that they be put in to-night and ready for service by to-morrow noon, if possible. Acknowledge receipt and report progress.



BROADWAY LANDING, VA., July 28, 1864-12.50 p.m.

Brigadier-General HUNT,

Headquarters Army of the Potomac:

Your dispatch about mortars received. Will start five 10-inch mortars in two hours, and the rest of the mortars during the night, if I can get transportation from General Ingalls, for which I have telegraphed. If he can supply transportation, as I do not doubt he will, I can send six siege guns or more, if you desire it, and have them all ready to fire by daylight of 30th. Please see Major Duane to be sure that I can get into the 8-inch mortar battery to-night. I will come to headquarters this evening as soon as I can get everything well started.


Colonel First Connecticut Artillery, Commanding.

BROADWAY LANDING, VA., July 28, 1864-1 p.m.

Captain BROOKER,

First Connecticut Artillery, Commanding Siege Battery,

Near General Warren's Headquarters:

Fiver 10-inch mortars start with Company C in two hours. The rest with the 8-inch during the night. They will be ordered to report to you. See that they go into position and that the trains are returned as soon as possible. Acknowledge receipt of this.


Colonel First Connecticut Artillery.

Dispatch to General Warren's headquarters.