FORT MONROE, June 25, 1864-11.35 a.m.
Colonel Hoffman inquires if we can send rebel medical officers through the lines now or soon.
JOHN E. MULFORD,
BUTLER'S HEADQUARTERS, June 25, 1864.
Mr. Ould having refused to allow the flag-of-truce boat to go up the river, I have no way of sending the rebel surgeons except through our lines, and I don't think that is safe; they know too much. Ould desires us to agree upon a new plan to make our exchanges, but refuses to answer officially what will be done with colored soldiers, therefore I have cut off all exchange and flag-of-truce communication.
B. F. BUTLER,
CITY POINT, June 25, 1864-9 p.m.
It was General Smith's intention to carry an advanced point in front of his left last night, but finding that he had fewer men than he thought it was postponed. If he can secure this advance to-morrow night I would like it to be done.
U. S. GRANT,
HEADQUARTERS EIGHTEENTH ARMY CORPS, June 25, 1864-2 p.m.
City Point, Va.:
General Smith directs me to ask authority to send four more 8-inch mortars and three more 30-pounder Parrotts to his front. I await instructions here.
HENRY L. ABBOT,
Colonel First Connecticut Artillery, Commanding Siege Train.
CITY POINT, VA., June 25, 1864.
Colonel H. L. ABBOT,
Headquarters Eighteenth Army Corps:
Furnish the additional guns and mortars asked for by General Smith. It is desired that he have all the guns and mortars that he can use to advantage.
By command of Lieutenant-General Grant:
T. S. BOWERS,