No. 119. Report of Major John D. Lentz, Ninety-first Pennsylvania Infantry.
HDQRS. NINETY-FIRST Regiment PENNSYLVANIA VOLS.,
In the Trenches, near Petersburg, Va., August 9, 1864.
At 4.30 a.m. [June 13] struck tents and moved in the direction of the Chickahominy; crossed on pontoons at daylight. 13th; resumed the march in an easterly direction; halted and threw up works. Marched at 7.30 p.m. southeasterly, reaching a field near Charles City Court-House, and pitched tents; received orders, with One hundred and fifty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, to leave the brigade; transferred to Second Brigade, First Division, by order from Fifth Corps headquarters. June 15, joined Second Brigade, First Division, near Charles City Court-House. Left 4 a.m. 16th (with brigade); crossed the James River at 9 a.m., reached an old rebel camp three miles south of Petersburg about 12 p.m.; bivouacked for the night. 11 a.m. 18th formed line of battle with Thirty-second Massachusetts, Twenty-first Pennsylvania Cavalry (dismounted), and One hundred and fifty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteers, all placed under the command of Colonel E. M. Gregory, Ninety-first Regiment Pennsylvania Veteran Volunteers; advanced upon the enemy, drove him across the Norfolk and Petersburg Railroad; remained on the north bank of the railroad a short time; advanced again, driving him into his intrenchments about a quarter of a mile from the railroad, and threw up breast-works. Was attacked about 11 p.m.; drove him back. Kept up the fire during the night; relieved by a portion of Crawford's division. 4.30 a.m. [19th] retired on the railroad and bivouacked. Left the railroad 9.30 p.m. 20th, moved southeast of the railroad half a mile, and bivouacked for the night. Left again 10 a.m. 21st, moved toward the left of the line, halted 12 m. on the Chieves farm; the left wing of the regiment sent out as skirmishers on the right of the Jerusalem plank road, the balance of the regiment, with the Sixty-second Pennsylvania Volunteers, following about 3 p.m., and took position to support the skirmish line. Advanced about half a mile, driving the enemy's picket-line before us and establishing the line; threw up breast-works and remained until about 4 a.m. 23d; were relieved by the First Brigade; ordered to the left of the plank road in position on the ground where a portion of the Second Corps had been driven the night previous. Remained until 9 a.m., was relieved by the Fourth New York Heavy Artillery, and returned to camp half a mile east of Chieves' house. Struck tents at 6 p.m. on the 24th and moved to the left of the line about two miles south of Chieves' house, near the Jerusalem plank road, to support the Sixth Corps. Threw up breast-works; remained until 6 p.m. 25th; were relieved by the Corcoran Legion and returned to camp, where we remained, sending details for working parties from the 6th to the 20th of July. 3 a.m. 21st relieved the Twenty-first Pennsylvania Cavalry dismounted) on the front (on the left Jerusalem turnpike); found the works and camp in a filthy condition; devoted all spare time in cleaning up and reconstructing the works, leaving a detail at old camp for guard.
* For portion of report (here omitted) covering operations from May 4 to June 12, 1864, see Vol. XXXVI, Part I, p.555.