War of the Rebellion: Serial 080 Page 0397 Chapter LII. THE RICHMOND CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records

No. 81. Report of Captain John B. Vande Wiele, Fourth New York Heavy Artillery, including operations June 12-August 5.



[June] 13th, halted until 11 a. m.; crossed the Chickahominy and halted at 3.30 p. m. Marched to Doctor Wilcox's farm and bivouacked on the banks of the James River at 9 p. m. 14th and 15th, worked incessantly day and night loading transports. 16th, crossed James River at 5 p. m.; rested until 9 a. m. moved up to the lines in front of Petersburg. Sent out five companies, under command of Major Williams, as a detail to General Gibbon's division. 18th, ordered forward; took one line of pits and the road from the enemy. Retained the position until 11 a. m., when an advance was ordered; the command was repulsed with severe loss. Relieved at dark and ordered to the rear. 19th and 20th, lay in second line of pits. 21st, at 4 a. m. moved to field near corps headquarters. At 10 a. m. marched eight miles, crossing the Jerusalem plank road; rested until 5 p. m. in edge of woods; fell back a little. Supported Brown's battery on plank road. Sent three companies on skirmish line. 22d, went back to Wilson's house at 7 a. m. At 4 p. m. were ordered up to fill gap between Second and Sixth Corps, at the moment when McKnight's battery and some regiments were captured by the rebels. Built rifle-pits all night. 23d, at 5 a. m. were attached to General Gibbon's command. Lay on skirmish line all day; lost some men killed; ordered to abandon line about 4 p. m., as it was untenable. Erected a line of pits to west of plank road. Lay there until June 30, when the command was assigned to the First, Second, and Third Brigades, Third Division, Second Army Corps.

July 1, companies D and L were detached to Artillery Brigade, the former to serve mortar battery, the latter to guard ammunition train. The remainder of the command remained on infantry picket duty until 12th of July.

July 13, forty men detailed to Artillery Brigade as cannoneers by order of General Hancock. Moved from rear of General Hancock's headquarters, and camped during the day with Third Brigade, Third Division. In the evening were ordered to report to General Hunt, chief of artillery, and, according to instructions, marched to woods near General Meade's headquarters and went into reserve camp. 14th, Companies A and M detailed to siege train, Broadway Landing; remainder of command employed in erecting fortifications, mounting guns, and other similar fatigue duties until 27th of July. On 27th one company ordered to report to Major Trumbull, at General Ord's headquarters, to serve battery of six Coehorn mortars. Daily duty as usual. 28th, rested al day. 29th, Company H detailed to battery of six 4 1/2-inch guns at Castle Hill redan; Company K detailed to serve ten Coehorn mortars on Fifth Corps lies. 30th, participated in the grand assault on Petersburg without suffering any loss. August 1, Company K relieved


* For portion of report (here omitted) covering operations from May 3 to June 12, 1864, see Vol. XXXVI, Part I, p.525.