No. 45. Report of Lieutenant Colonel William Glenny, Sixty-fourth New York Infantry, commanding Fourth Brigade.
HDQRS. FOURTH BRIGADE, FIRST DIVISION, 2nd ARMY CORPS,
September 13, 1864.*
The line were quietly abandoned in the night of the 12th [June] and a line of march resumed. The White House and Richmond Railroad was crossed at daylight of the 13th at Dispatch Station, the Chickahominy at the Long Bridge, and reached the James at 5 p. m. Crossed the river in the night of the 14th, and 15th marched in the direction of Petersburg, joining the commands there early on the 16th, and formed on the left of the division and intrenched. The brigade was ordered to charge a fort in the immediate front, and at 6 p. m., when the order was given, they steadily advanced, under a very heavy fire of musketry and artillery, within a few yards of the works, and finding the assaulting column too weak they were withdrawn, sustaining a very severe loss. The commanding officer of the brigade was seriously wounded and the next in command taken prisoner. The command then devolved upon Lieutenant-Colonel Hastings, Seventh New York Heavy Artillery. On the 17th it was ordered to the support of the Ninth Corps, a portion of the command participating in the assault of that evening. They entered the works of the enemy and remade a counter-charge, recapturing the works, and took some of the men prisoners, among whom was the brave and daring Lieutenant-Colonel Hammell, of the Sixty-sixth New York Volunteers. The enemy fell back during the night of the 17th, and the brigade advanced about one mile on the 18th, where they remained until they were relieved by the Ninth Corps in the night of the 20th.
The brigade was ordered to move toward the Weldon railroad on the 21st, and in the evening formed line on the left of Third Division and intrenched, and on the 22nd advanced a [mile] through a dense wood, and with the remainder of the division was attacked and pressed back to the breast-works, losing a large number of prisoners, among the number the gallant commandant, Colonel Fraser, One hundred and fortieth Pennsylvania Volunteers. The brigade remained undisturbed here, occupying the breast-works. The Second Delaware Volunteers was transferred and the One hundred and sixteenth Pennsylvania Volunteers assigned to the command. On the 12th of July it was ordered to the Williams house, and int the evening was ordered out the Jerusalem plank road to support the Second Division of Cavalry. It marched out about four miles, and after remaining a few hours was ordered back to the Williams house. In the morning of the 13th the brigade was ordered to the rear of the Fifth Corps and put on reserve.
July 26, the brigade, under command of Lieutenant-Colonel Broady, Sixty-first New York Volunteers, took up the line of march, crossing the Appomattox at Point of Rocks and the James at Deep Bottom in the morning of the 27th at 2 a. m. At daylight the brigade advanced, supporting the First in their charge on the enemy's guns. During the remainder of the time on the north side of the James the brigade constituted a portion of the line, but did not become engaged,
*For portion of report (here omitted) covering operations from May 3 to June 12, 1864, see Vol. XXXVI, Part I, p. 415.