War of the Rebellion: Serial 080 Page 0167 Chapter LII. THE RICHMOND CAMPAIGN.

Search Civil War Official Records


Report of casualties in Army of the Potomac for July 30, 1864.

Killed Wounded Missing. Total.

Comman Off Men Offi Men Of Men Offi Men Aggre

d ice cers fi cers gate

rs ce


Second - 2 1 25 - - 1 27 28


Fifth - 7 6 24 - - 6 31 37


Ninth 47 363 117 1, 91 1, 255 3,688 3,493

Corps 506 819


and 6 33 22 281 - 50 28 364 392




Total 53 405 146 1, 91 1, 290 4,110 4,400

836 869


Major-General, Commanding.


November 1, 1864.


By the 14th [June] the army was massed around Charles City Court-House. Transports having been assembled the Second Corps commenced crossing in them at noon. Brigadier-General Benham, in charge of bridge train, arrived early on the morning of the 14th and proceeded to lay the bridge, the site for which, and the approaches on each side, having been prepared by Brigadier-General Weitzel, chief engineer Department of Virginia and North Carolina. The bridge, over 2,000 feet in length, and the channel-boats anchored in over thirteen fathoms water, was completed by midnight. During this day (the 14th of June) the greater portion of the Second Corps was ferried across the river. In the evening orders were sent to Major-General Hancock to move early the next morning and take position in front of Petersburg. He was, however, authorized to delay for the receipt of subsistence stores, which in the absence of our supply trains, were to be sent down from Bermuda Hundred. Major-General Hancock moved without the supplies, his leading division, under Birney, reporting to Major General W. F. Smith about an hour before that officer's attack on the enemy, and by direction of General Smith, Birney took position on the left of General Hinks. Soon after, or about dark, Major-General Hancock arrived with the rest of his corps, and on communicating with Major-General Smith was by that officer requested to place his command in a part of the works captured from the enemy. Late in the evening this day, the 15th, orders were received from the lieutenant-general commanding, then at City Point, to dispatch another corps to Petersburg, when Major-General Burnside, with the Ninth Corps, was immediately put en route for that place, reaching it about noon the next day. At the same time orders were given to Warren to cross his corps at early daylight by the ferries and proceed to Petersburg, he reaching there about dark of the 16th.

Having made these dispositions, early on the morning of the 16th I proceeded to City Point, and from thence to Petersburg, meeting, when


*For portion of report (here omitted) covering operations from May 4 to June 13, 1864, see Vol. XXXVI, Part I, p. 188.