War of the Rebellion: Serial 077 Page 0816 KY., SW. VA., TENN., MISS., ALA., AND N. GA. Chapter LI.

Search Civil War Official Records

daylight. With dawn the march was resumed, and finally by 7. 30 o o'clock in the morning the head of the column was son the ridge, and about 600 yards WEST of the fortifications, and between those he occupied and an abandoned redoubt on our left. Here the fortification for the first time were seen, and instead of two redoubts there were disclosed to us three redoubts on the WEST of the railroad cut and a star fort on the east, with outer works, and the approaches defended to a great distance by abatis and nearer the works by stockades and other obstructions. The railroad emerges from the Allatoona Mountains by crossing this ridge through a cut sixty-five feet deep. Dispositions for the assault were now made by sending General Sears' brigade to the north side or rear of the works, General F. M. Cockrell's (Missouri) brigade to rest with center on the ridge, while General W. H. Young, with the four Texas regiments, was forme din rear of General Cockrell. Major Myrick had opened on the works with his artillery, and was ordered to continue his fire until the attacking force should interfere, or until he heard the volleys of musketry. General Sears was to commence the assault on the rear, and when musketry was heard General Cockrell was to move down the ridge, supported by General Young, and carry the works by (as it were) a flank attack. So rugged and abrupt were the hills that the troops could not be got in position until about 9 a. m., when I sent in a summons to surrender. The flag was met by a Federal staff officer, and he was allowed seventeen minutes to return with an answer. The time expired without any answer being received, whereupon Major D. W. Sanders, impatient at the delay, a bearer of the summons, broke off the interview and returned. No reply being sent me,* the order was given for the assault by directing the advance of Cockrell's brigade. Emerging from the woods and passing over a long distance of abatis formed of felled timber, and under a severe fire of musketry and artillery, nobly did it press forward, followed by the gallant Texans. They enemy's outer line and one redoubt soon fell. Resting to gather strength and survey the work before them, again they rushed forward in column, and in murderous hand-to-hand conflict that left the ditches filled with the dead, did they become master of the second redoubt. The THIRD and main redout, now filled by those driven from the captured works on the WEST side of the railroad, was further crowded by those that were driven out of the fort on the east side of the road by the attack made by General Sears. They had to cross the deep cut through which our artillery poured a steady and deadly fire. The Federal forces were now confined to one redoubt, and we occupied the ditch and almost entirely silenced their fire, and were preparing for the final attack. Pending the progress of these events I had received a note from General F. C. Armstrong, date 7 a. m., asking me at what time I would move toward New Hope and pass Acworth, informing me also that the enemy had moved up east of the railroad above Kenesaw and encamped there last night. I had observed this movements when at Acworth, but at 12 p. m. I received another dispatch from him, written at 9 a. m., saying:

My scouts report enemy's infantry advancing up the railroad. They are now entering Big Shanty. They have a cavalry force east of the railroad.

On the receipt of this second note from General Armstrong I took my guide aside and particularly asked him if after the capture of the place I could move to New Hope Church by any other route than the


*For the reply as given in Corse's report, see p. 763.