War of the Rebellion: Serial 077 Page 0743 Chapter LI. NORTH CAROLINA AND NORTH ALABAMA.

Search Civil War Official Records

some four or five miles beyond in Turkeytown Valley. I consequently marched on, preceded by one regiment of cavalry of General Garrard's command who had just closed up on my troops. The Gadsden road, on which we were advancing, on entering Turkeytown Valley, separates into two wide and good roads, which run through the whole length of the valley along the eastern and western slopes, and at the other end they unite again. I rallied my command at the northern end, near the forks of the road, sending some cavalry ahead to find out whether the report of the enemy being in the valley was correct. They had passed almost through the valley when the enemy opened with artillery. I at once ordered General Woods to their support. He advanced on the left road, while General Hazen with two brigades was to take the right road; the remaining brigade of General Hazen was kept in reserve. I found the rebels occupying an eminencley, with a force of about 2,000 men and two pieces of artillery. They proved to be dismounted cavalry under General Wheeler. They were intrenched and had complete sweep of the open grounds in their front. While a strong line of General Woods' skirmishers stretched across the whole width of the valley and two pieces of Captain Arndt's battery (B, First Michigan) engaged the attention of the rebels, General Hazen's advance on the right-hand road was hardly observed. As soon as he closed on Woods' right I ordered him to push a strong column under cover of the woods along Lookout Slope to get, if possible, on the left flank of the rebel line. Colonel Theodore Jones* was detailed for the execution of the order. He advanced very promptly and came within very short range of th enemy without hardly noticed. Simultaneously with the general attack Colonel Jones charged up and fired his volleys into the rebel lines, who broke and retired very precipitately from their works. The absence of our cavalry prevented the taking of many prisoners. The information received, however, form those who fell into our hands and from the citizens was not very definite in regard to General Hoods' movements. All agreed that his army had left Gadsden and moved in a western direction. The exact whereabouts could not be ascertained. Rumor placed them near the Tennessee River. I had hardly dislodged the rebels when I received the general's order not to go any farther, and consequently fell back with the infantry, General Garrard having promised me to picket during the night the ground taken from the enemy.

Next day we marched to our old camp, on Little River, where we arrived on the afternoon of October 26, having marched forty-eight miles in exactly forty-eight hours. We remained in camp till the 28th of October, and in a few days all officers and men whose term of service had expired or were unable to march were sent to the rear, together with all surplus baggage and transportation. At the same time the artillery was reduced to the ratio of one battery to a DIVISION, and as I was assured that the DIVISIONS of Generals Smith and Corse would join the corps, the following batteries were ordered to remain with the corps: Battery H, First Illinois Artillery, Captain De Gress, four 20-pounder parrotts; Twelfth Wisconsin Battery, Captain Zickerick, four 12-pounder light guns; Battery B, First Michigan Artillery, Captain Arndt, four 3-inch Rodmans; Battery H, First Missouri Artillery, Captain Welker, six light 12-pounders. The others, namely, Battery A, First Illinois Artillery; Battery F, First Illinois Artillery; Battery F, Second Missouri Artillery; Sixth Wisconsin Battery, Fourth Ohio


*General Hazen says Wells S. Jones' brigade. See p. 745; also Martin's report, p. 746.