War of the Rebellion: Serial 077 Page 0736 KY., SW. VA., TENN., MISS., ALA., AND N. GA. Chapter LI.

Search Civil War Official Records

Atlanta, &c., while Lieutenant Adams alone worked that at Allatoona, Lieutenant Allen not having returned from leave of absence. On the 3rd the officer on the Kenesaw station saw and reported to the commanding general at Marietta the movements of the enemy on the railroad between Kenesaw Mountain and Big Shanty, some three miles distant. (See Lieutenant Fish's report, marked A. *) The weather being unfavorable, no communication was had with Allatoona. On the 4th messages of importance were sent over the line, but the weather being still unfavorable, and the distance considerable, fifteen miles, caused much delay in some instances. The other stations communicating with Kenesaw were also very important and at times demanded the whole attention of Lieutenants Fish and Connelly. On the 5th the enemy attacked the garrison at Allatoona, and after a severe engagement was repulsed with heavy loss. For coolness and bravery during the fight, which lasted several hours, Lieutenant Adams and party deserve special notice. Several messages of vital importance (one of which General Sherman remarked "may have saved the army") were sent and received amid showers of rebel shot and shell. To Acting Sergt. A. West, of the detachment Army of the Cumberland, great credit is due for good behavior while under fire. That part of his men not required for duty on station Lieutenant Adams sent to re-enforce our troops in the trenches, in which position they acquitted themselves well. (See Lieutenant Adams' report, B. +) During the fight the officers on Kenesaw sent many important messages to the different stations established at certain points as our army moved, also to those of Marietta, Vining's, Atlanta, Pine Hill, &c.

On the afternoon of the 8th the Army of the Tennessee moved about eight miles and encamped two miles north of Kenesaw. Assisted by Lieutenant Sampson, adjutant of the detachment, I quickly reopened communication with the mountain, Lieutenant Sherfy still being in charge of the mountain station. We remained here until the morning of the 11th, when we moved, via Allatoona, to Kingston, thence to near Rome, where we halted about twenty-four hours.

On the 8th Lieutenant Weirick, who had been absent at Nashville on business for the detachment, returned and was ordered to duty with Lieutenant Fish, thus relieving Lieutenant Sherfy, who proceeded to rejoin his corps. After having Rome the army pushed on rapidly after the enemy, who had again struck the railroad between Resaca and Dalton. While thus engaged it was impossible to do any signal duty of importance other than reconnoitering, taking observations, &c., as the troops were almost constantly on the move and generally well concentrated.

On the 21st we arrived near Little River and went into camp until further orders.

On the 22nd communication by signals was opened between General Sherman's headquarters at Gaylesville and those of General Howard, some five miles distant. Captain Bachtell, chief signal officer, Army of the Cumberland, furnished officers for the two stations nearest General Sherman's headquarters. Several important messages were sent over this line during our stay at this point.

ON the 24th Lieutenant Sherfy accompanied the Fifteenth Corps on a reconnaissance toward Guntersville, on the Tennessee River, and was


*Not found.

+See p. 739.