War of the Rebellion: Serial 077 Page 0059 Chapter LI. MORGAN'S RAID INTO Kentucky.

Search Civil War Official Records

because it was not according to agreement; and second, because we absolutely refused to accept a general parole. It was then changed as agreed upon first, and signed. Annexed is a true copy of this paper, marked Exhibit D. *

The paper being signed horses obtained (General Morgan had ordered a horse given me to replace my disabled one), with an ambulance for those who had no horses, General Hobson's and staff's horses being on the train, which had been run back, thrown from the track, and destroyed, we started for some point where communication could be had with the military authorities by telegraph. We expected to find such communication at Boyd's Station, on the Kentucky Central Railroad, but the operator had abandoned the station, and we proceeded to Falmouth, where we arrived Sunday evening. Our escort was Captain C. C. Morgan, aide-de-camp, and Surgeon Goode, of General Morgan's staff, Major Chenoweth, of the line, a Mr. Voorhies, said to be a soldier, lately joined them at Lexington, and an ambulance driver, who was also a soldier. These men were all armed. Voorhies carried a flag of truce in advance. We were received into our lines at Falmouth; the rebel officers were assigned quarters and kept close. General Hobson immediately placed himself in communication with General Burbridge, his superior officer, commanding the District of Kentucky, and the result is, two telegrams, copies of which are annexed as Exhibit E.

On Friday morning General Hobson and staff, in pursuance of said telegrams, started overland for Lexington (having first obtained permission to go that way), to report to General Burbridge, taking with them the rebel officers and men, and myself and the other field officers of my regiment came to Cincinnati, as directed by General Burbridge, and from thence I came on here to report, leaving the lieutenant-colonel and major at Cincinnati. The regiment, with the line officers, was paroled on Sunday after the battle between General Morgan and General Burbridge.

Captain Morris, one of my captains, who was present and participated in the whole matter, reports as follows: On Saturday evening, after our surrender, the prisoners, comprising all they had taken at Mount Sterling, Lexington, and Cynthiana, and those from our regiment, about 1,300, were started off on the Claysville pike, and marched about six miles. In the morning they were started up and marched about ten miles on the double-quick. At length they were halted, the officers called to the front and center, and they were then offered horses to ride, provided they would give their parole of honor that they would not attempt to escape. While discussing the matter, Captain Morris asked permission for an interview with General Morgan, which was granted. Captain Morris stepped to General Morgan and told him that this treatment was not according to the terms of the surrender. General Morgan replied that he was aware of that, but that circumstances altered cases, and said to Captain Morris if the officers would agree to respect their parole he would parol them and let them go. Captain Morris told him he would report to the other officers and let them decide, which he did, and they all agreed to accept a parole and respect it. They were then paroled. A copy of this parole is annexed and marked Exhibit F. The inspector-general then mounted Captain Morris and compelled him to ride along the lines with him, and he then told the men they were paroled, administering to them some oath, or some sort of obligation. They were started to August, thence to Cin-


*See p. 36.