War of the Rebellion: Serial 074 Page 0512 THE ATLANTA CAMPAIGN. Chapter L.

Search Civil War Official Records

about 6 p.m. marched to camp, where we arrived at 10 p.m. On the 13th, 14th and 15th took part in the engagement before than town, losing 3 men killed and 2 officers and 20 men wounded and 1 missing. On the 16th we marched forward,and after several days' marching arrived at Kingston, where we arrested a few days. We were again ordered forward, and arrived at Dallas on the evening of the 27th and was engaged with the enemy on the 28th. Captain Charles A. Angel, in command of Companies E and I, advanced up the heights,and after holding it a short time, was compelled to retire. The regiment took part on the line of skirmishers in all that occurred at Dallas, losing 4 killed, 8 wounded,and 1 missing.

On June 5 we were ordered to the flank,and intrenched ourselves, building a circular earth-works. On the 6th we were relieved, and marched to Acworth. From thence we marched to Big Shanty, and while on skirmish line on the 14th and 15th lost 7 killed and 8 wounded. We marched to Kenesaw Mountain and took part in the movement at that place, losing 13 wounded.

On the morning of July 2 marched from Kenesaw, and on the 4th day of July, while advancing on the enemy's works near Nickajack Creek, Captain and Actg. Major Charles A. Angel was killed, thus losing to the service a valuable and accomplished officer. From thence we marched to the right, and on the 8th we marched to Marietta, and from thence to the Chattahoochee River, which we forded on the 9th, and intrenched and rested for some days. We again marched, and on the 18th arrived at Decatur, and marched to the front the next day. The day following we returned to Decatur and on the 22nd took part in the engagement at that place,an official report of which has been forwarded.* We lost 1 killed, 16 wounded, and 2 officers and 37 men missing. Companies I and D, being on picket, were cut off and were nearly all captured. On the 23rd we re-entered the town and went to Camp Conscript, where we intrenched. On the 24th we marched to the front of Atlanta and took position in rifle-pits,and on the night of the 26th was again on the march to the center, where we arrived on the evening of the 27th,and after skirmishing with the enemy took position. We lost on this occasion 1 man killed. On the 28th we were ordered to re-enforce the Fifteenth Army Corps, and arrived at the scene of action about 2 p.m.,and at once became hotly engaged with the enemy,who advanced upon us seven times, and each time was repulsed, owing no doubt to the fact that we were posted in the edge of the woods, and intrenched behind logs and rails. Our loss was very light,having but 1 officer and 4 men wounded.

After the fight we returned to our former encampment, and on the 7th of August advanced our position and finished rifle-pits, which we found partially completed. On the night of the 8th we were ordered to the front to throw up works, and after working all night were relieved and returned to camp. On the 10th a shell from the enemy exploded in our camp, killing 1 man and wounding 6, 2 of whom have since died. On the 11th we were ordered on skirmish line,and also to advance the line, which we did,driving the enemy's pickets out of their pits easily. We lost 2 men wounded. On the 25th we marched out in charge of the Sixteenth Army Corps wagon train as guard, and owing to some mistake in orders we found ourselves on the night of that day entirely outside of our extreme right flank pickets, where we encamped with thirty wagons. I


*See p.510.