War of the Rebellion: Serial 074 Page 0473 Chapter L. REPORTS, ETC.- ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE.

Search Civil War Official Records

not distinguish, the work partly hidden by trees and underbrush. About 9 o'clock challenged the center fort, which was immediately accepted by the three batteries in our front. Their firing was excellent, their shot penetrating our works and entering the embrasures in several places, and, for a short time, our little fort had the appearance of becoming demolished. Soon their aim became more uncertain, and in our finally silencing their guns they acknowledged themselves demoralized. On this line our loss was as follows:* One horses was killed and 1 wounded. August 21, Chapman Williams wounded, and 1 horse killed. August 26, Privates David Lagler and Jacob Huber wounded. We occupied this line from the 11th to the 25th August, during which time we succeeded in keeping silent the enemy's artillery in front of us. On the night of the 25th we moved back, with muffled wheels, to the new line already established. Occupied works during the 26th, and at 9 p. m. again moved out, and marched during the night to Dry Pond. Was ordered by General Corse to occupy a position from which I could command the cross-roads, and at 3 p. m. we again moved forward, in advance of the Second Brigade, to ---, where we encamped the night of the 27th. On the 28th marched to the Montgomery railroad, and laid over during the 29th. On the 30th we marched toward the Macon railroad, and went into park at midnight near Jonesborough. At 7 a. m. of August 31 moved into the line, on the right of the Seventh Iowa Infantry. At 12 m. the same day moved to the advanced line, occupied a position designated by the general commanding, supported on the left by the Second Brigade. About 1.30 or 2 p. m. the enemy commenced his charge, his right advancing toward our front obliquely. I changed the front of the battery in order to get a full battery fire. Again the enemy charged, this time advancing directly on our front. We changed the direction of our fire, and handled him with case and solid shot until he got within canoster range. Again the greater portion of his line went flying back for cover, while the remainder advanced to within 150 yards of the battery, where they gained shelter in a deep gorge, which, from our position, our guns could not command. Seeing this, and fearing that they would reform and again charge, I ordered the firing to cease, and double-charged my guns with canister, pointing to sweep the ground between me and the ravine. At the same time I informed the general commanding of the fact. A regiment, the Sixty-sixth Indiana, was soon moved forward, causing the enemy to leave their cover, and affording us an excellent opportunity of sending double charges of canister after them as they crossed the field. It seems to be the object of the enemy to establish a line on the edge of the timber. I continued shelling this point until dark. The engagement was severe, as we had no cover. Our range was very good. The enemy advanced in pain view, on the open field, and I have every reason to believe that our pieces did good execution.

During the 1st of September we held the same position, without being engaged. On the 2nd moved forward between the Second and First Brigades, the enemy having evacuated his works, and camped in rear of the advance line on the night of the 2d. Moved to our present position on the extreme right of the army September 3.

In reviewing the conduct of the officers and men whom it has been my honor to command during the severe campaign through which


* Nominal list (omitted) shows 8 men wounded.