War of the Rebellion: Serial 074 Page 0472 THE ATLANTA CAMPAIGN. Chapter L.

Search Civil War Official Records

On the 27th we moved to the advance line at the foot of the mountain, where we remained until the army was withdrawn.

On the night of the 2nd of July we moved to the right, with muffled wheels, and on the evening of the 3rd encamped six miles from the Chattahoochee River. Sent out one section, Lieutenant Brunner commanding, at 2 p. m. on the 4th of July, which immediately engaged the enemy. The enemy charged, and was repulsed. July 6, we moved with the command to within two miles of the river; laid over one day, and moved with the command to the extreme left of the army, crossing the Chattahoochee on the 9th; moved into position and built works. We marched on Atlanta July 17, encamping at Decatur on the 19th. Went into position on the second line on the night of the 20th, and moved forward to the advanced line on the evening of the 21st. On the morning of the 22nd we moved with the command toward the left of the army, halting for rest in an open field in rear of the Seventeenth Army Corps. About 1.30 o'clock received an order from Captain Welker to move the battery forward and come into position, fronting to the left oblique. We accordingly moved forward and to the left, coming into battery at a gallop march. Four pieces commanded the open field in our front, and one section, Lieutenant McCarthy commanding, the field and sweeping a gorge extending to the right and front. Our range was excellent, and the appearance of the field showed clear proof that our pieces did good execution. The enemy being repulsed, I was ordered by Captain Welker to change the front of the battery, which I did immediately, fronting on a line at right angles to our former position. The enemy attempted to advance from the timber, but was driven back with case and shell. I requested, and was granted permission by General T. W. Sweeny, to moved one piece to the right of the Fifty-second Illinois Infantry, to a point commanding the mouth of the valley, across which the enemy was then moving. Having no cover for the men, this engagement was severe, and our losses were as follows:* Three horses were killed and 5 wounded. We fortified on the night of the 22d, and occupied the works until the night of the 26th, when we moved, with muffled wheels, toward the right. On the night of the 27th put four pieces in position on the advanced line, our skirmishers being thrown out well forward. On the 28th were under a flank fire from the enemy's batteries, to which, however, we could not reply.

On the 29th and 30th of July we were engaged, as also on the 5th and 6th of August, in repelling a charge on the skirmish line, and preparing the way for our skirmishers to advance. On the 9th we moved the battery into a new work, 300 yards in advance of our old position. On the 11th the following enlisted men were wounded: Corpl. William Miller wounded, and leg amputated; Corpl. William Williams wounded; Privates Blossom and Mahan wounded. On the same day I received an order from General Corse to occupy a new fort, 500 yards in advance of the one then occupied, and was directed by him to move out some time during the night. We moved into the works, and were ready for action at daybreak the following morning. I was ordered by Captain Welker to open on the first rebel gun that fire, and continue firing till it ceased. Waiting until the fog had cleared away, I could plainly see four guns looking from the fort in our front 1,050, [and] two in the fort to our left, distant 1,100 yards. The guns in a work on our right I could


* Nominal list (omitted) shows 1 killed, 7 wounded.