War of the Rebellion: Serial 074 Page 0429 Chapter L. REPORTS, ETC.-ARMY OF THE TENNESSEE.

Search Civil War Official Records

mand and relieved the Eighty-first Ohio Regiment. In this line of works the command spent one day and two sleepless nights, owing to the close proximity of the enemy and the constant fire between the skirmishers. The last night Companies A and B were on the skirmish line in front of the works. Soon after daylight the regiment fell back and marched with the brigade to rear of Dallas, some four miles, and occupied temporarily a line of works to cover the retreat of the army, this command being assigned to a position on left of brigade. The army having passed through, the march was renewed some two miles farther, where a new line was to be formed. In obedience to your order, I proceeded with my command to report to General Dodge, and was directed by the general to occupy the gap between the Fifteenth and Sixteenth Corps, construct works, and picket some cross-roads to my left. Remained in this position, constructing works night and day, until the afternoon of June 4, when relieved by the Twelfth Illinois Infantry, and I rejoined the brigade. While in this position the regiment constructed 800 yards of formidable breast-works.

June 5 and 6, marched to Acworth, Ga., arriving after dark evening of the 6th. Remained at Acworth until June 10, on which day the regiment marched to Big Shanty. Remained in the position assigned the command on arriving at Big Shanty until June 13, when the brigade moved to a more desirable position, this command being assigned to the right of first line. Remained in this position as reserve until June 15, when ordered to march toward the front. Marching to the front and right one mile, was assigned a position to the left of Captain Welker's battery. During the afternoon moved to the left half a mile, and occupied the left of the line. 1 o'clock, morning of June 16, in obedience to your order, I proceeded to the front, with my command, and reported to General Veatch. Was directed by General Veatch to report to General Fuller for orders. General Fuller assigned my command to support the second U. S. Battery,* in second line of works, taking position to the right of the battery. Remained in this position until the evening of June 17, when ordered by General Fuller to proceed to the left of the front line and relieve the Thirty-ninth Ohio Infantry. Sent Companies E and G out on skirmish line; remaining portion of the command constructed 100 yards of earth-works during the night. Occupied this position until afternoon of June 20, the regiment doing its own skirmishing. While here the command lost 2 seriously wounded. In obedience to orders from General Fuller, joined his brigade to the front. June 20, lying in reserve during the night and following day. Evening of June 20 sent companies H and K out on the skirmish line along the base of Kenesaw Mountain. June 21, 1 man wounded of Company H on skirmish line and 1 man Company G by random shot (since died). 5 p. m., June 21, moved forward, with General Fuller's brigade, near the base of Kenesaw Mountain, and was assigned a position on the right of General Fuller's brigade, connecting with the left of General Morgan's brigade. June 22, constructed earth-works to cover the front of the regiment. During the day the command was exposed to the enemy's shells and stray bullets from the skirmish line. Late in the afternoon received orders that the Twelfth Illinois Infantry would relieve me, and, when relieved, directed me to join my brigade at Big


*Battery F, Second U. S. Artillery.